Radio stays on after shutdown in 2004 Chevy Express 3500 van

Sometimes, but not always, the radio stays on after I have shut down the engine and exited the van and closed the door resulting in a dead battery the next day. No dash lights are on. In this situation, turning the radio off will still result in the battery being run down the next day when I try to start it. I "play" around with it by sticking the ignition key in and out and that sometimes fixes it. My "work around" is to always shut down with the radio on and make sure it goes off when I exit the van. If it doesn't, then I have to "play" with the ignition key in/out until it goes off. Is there a relay sticking or what -- where is it? How do I fix this problem. THANKS GENE

Reply to
Gene

The ignition switch (the thing that the ignition lock operates) isn't rotating all the way to the 'off' position when you take the key out. Its either the lock (you can pull the key out while still in the ACC position) or the switch (too much slop in the mechanism and it doesn't go to the 'off' position like it should).

GM used to (and maybe still does) have an ignition switch mounted down below the ignition lock along the steering column and connected via a linkage. This linkage might also be bent or out of adjustment.

Some disassembly and investigation is in order. Be careful around the air bag wiring!

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Probably not. Most cars / trucks will leave the radio on UNTIL you open the door. If you turn the car off, you can sit almost forever and listen to the radio. Until you open the door.

At least that's how the last few cars I've owned did.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Whatever happened to the old 'accessory' position? Ya know, where you could sit outside the stop'n'rob and eat your junk food, and listen to the news without heating up the engine circuits, or maybe use the car as a portable radio when working outside away from power. None of my recent cars have had that. My damn van won't even let me leave the headlights on when I want to, unless engine is running. Turns them off after 3 minutes, trying to be helpful. (If I get home late at night in winter, I have to park in street until I climb the hill and use the snow blower on the driveway. I'd rather not leave a dark car in traffic.)

Reply to
aemeijers

I agree.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Is it just the radio, or the other accessories too?

I'd check the accessory relay and the ignition switch if it's all of them.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

2004 Hyundai Sonata.

That's how it DID work - until I replaced the stock stereo and had the stereo wired to be constant on.

Ford Taurus - don't recall year. Same thing.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Think I used to do that so I didn't forget my key in ignition.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

replying to Evan Platt, Britt Swope wrote: Nope

Reply to
Britt Swope