Radio Help Needed

Hey - I've got a '98 Explorer XLT with the dual CD/Tape radio. The display has been dim/dead/good/dead/dim for about a year. I had read thru other posts on this problem, and had decided to ignore it as long as I could... I suspect that day has arrived. I've run into a new problem and could not find any previous posts on the subject.

CD was playing fine, then I ejected it and put in a new one. Wouldn't play, tried a couple more, they wouldn't play. To shorten a long story, the radio now plays one radio station fine. The volume knob works. Past that, nothing works..... Blank display, blank lights on buttons, on-off doesn't work, presets don't work, seek, tune, etc. don't work. The only light available on the radio is v. small blinking green lights near the lower right corner of the CD slot and tape slot. I'm afraid to stick in another CD or tape, worried they will never return.

Does anybody have any experience with the repairs at shareamemory.com/radio ? Any chance that repair will magically fix my bigger problem? Any other suggestions? Time for a new radio?

Thanks for your help, ~OC~

Reply to
OysterCracker

The shareamemory fix simply shows you how to re-solder some components on the small power supply board of the radio. Based on your symptoms - I suspect your power supply board has gone completely bad (and possibly the ribbon cable to the front panel as well) - the fix may work for you but it's no guarantee. Worth a try if your handy with a soldering iron IMHO. Here is a link with some free information that may help:

(link will wrap)

Reply to
Al Williams

shareamemory.com/radio

Reply to
Tom A

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the feedback. I'm not sure I want to tackle the soldering, but sure as hell don't want to buy a new one. I think I'll give the NY shop a call to see what they have to say. Thanks again, I appreciate all the info. Happy Holidays. ~OC~

Reply to
OysterCracker