Re: 300D 2.5???

Back in July of 2002 I asked:

: Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but I don't : remember seeing this model before. I thought all 300Ds : had 3-liter engines. Could this have been a gray market : car, or maybe a 49-state model?

and was appropriately educated.

Well, now I own one. I found an example in great condition and with exceptionally low mileage down in Los Angeles, flew down and bought it, and drove it home to the Bay Area.

I love the car so far; it's a quantum leap beyond my W123s. But this week I've noticed that when it's cold, the trans- mission is reluctant to upshift from 3rd to 4th gear until the car has been driven for about two miles, at which point it upshifts spontaneously. (The first 1-2 upshift is a bit sticky as well, but it does shift.)

I only started seeing this behavior a few days ago when the temperature started dropping in the morning. I checked all the vacuum lines first thing, and didn't find any that were loose. The car shifts normally during the rest of the day. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Next question:

This car has headlight wipers, and one of them "parks" too low; it's angled downward with the rubber blade resting beneath one of those glass nipples on the headlight lens. How can I adjust its position back up to the horizontal?

Thanks, Geoff Miller

'91 300D 2.5 58K '82 300CD 162K '85 300D (RIP)

Reply to
Geoff Miller

trans fluid & filter change time. a for the wiper doing the dip i have no clue

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

The wiper is splined I believe... or the motor mount is loose... so pop it out and put it back where it is supposed to be.

I agree on tranny... change the fluid... or powerflush it if you can.

Reply to
Tiger

I suspected that might be the case, since I didn't see any set- screw. But before yanking on (and possibly breaking) anything, I wanted to ask first in order to be sure.

The odd thing is, I just had an "E" service done, which is why I didn't consider old fluid initially. The problem didn't even show up until a few days after the service was done. Hmmm...

Thanks, Geoff

'91 300D 2.5 58K '82 300CD 262K '85 300D (RIP)

Reply to
Geoff Miller

kind if makes you wonder adout the E service & who is doing the work. i never go to the dealer here as they will steal you blind.

find a shop that works on MBs with out the star on the front door. you will get better service

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Tiger wrotes:

[my car was reluctant to upshift to top gear until warm]

I checked the trans fluid level after I got home from work yesterday, and even after my 1-hour commute, the fluid level was barely up to the lower mark on the dipstick. That would seem to explain my problem: the fluid expands as it warms each morning, until the volume finally reaches the point where the tranny can upshift.

Two questions:

(1) What kind of ATF should I add? The owner's manual mentions all fluids _except_ for transmission fluid. I went out at lunchtime and bought some Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon; will that work?

(How critical is what type of ATF you use, anyway? Will different kinds separate like oil and vinegar if they're mixed?)

(2) What fluid volume is represented by the distance between the marks on the transmission's dip stick?

Thanks, Geoff

'91 300D 2.5 58K '82 300CD 262K '85 300D (RIP)

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Dextron is the right fluid... Valvoline is my favorite for Dextron... great choice.

The volume represented on the dipstick is about 2 quarts between marks... I prefer you change your fluid if you get a chance... because it is the most neglected part of the car.

Reply to
Tiger