Re: E300 boot lid

Dead giveaway for a Brit...

Have you had the car a while and this is a new phenomenon? Or have you recently acquired the car and you have 'always' noticed it?

Also, you did not mention whether you have central locking and whether you are referring to unlocking the boot centrally.

If the last (and you have a central locking problem), then you may not be aware that the boot lock has two key positions. The beautyof these old models is that you can deadlock the boot such that even if someone breaks into the car and opens the doors from inside, the boot stays locked. This feature has gone (at least on my 2001 CLK Cab).

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

or a Kiwi (the opinions of the New Zealand government are not necessarily those of the writer)

It is a recent phenomenon, having had the car nearly 18 months

Yes, I have Central locking, and it doesn't appear to matter which lock I use (door or trunk)

No I didn't know that - many thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon

Sorry, having spent so much time on this and other car groups I have forgotten that quite a few people have boots and bonnets...Anyway, Kiwis might be on the other side of the world but are 'almost' British...

OK, locking the boot, two choices (when using the boot lock). In both cases start with car unlocked.

1) Turn key clockwise all the way and withdraw key. You will have heard the locking system operate and the door pins will have dropped.

Open central locking on a DOOR lock.

Now press knob on boot. Boot should stay locked.

Boot can be opened by inserting key and turning anticlockwise all the way (180 deg).

Do it gently and test in which positons you can withdraw key.

2) With boot open from above lock car with central locking from DOOR. Try the boot; should be locked.

If you lock car from boot then, having turned key all the way clockwise, turn back 90 degrees to vertical position and withdraw key. This will not activate the deadlock.

If the above doesn't work (or something close to it) you may have a fault. In that case try a dealer for checking key locking positions on the boot lid.

I hope this helps.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I'm glad you think so!

Marvelous, this seems to be the solution. Maybe I should RTFM!

Many thanks

Reply to
Simon

Glad it seems to have solved your issue. But what's RTFM?

:-) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

It means

R ead T he F ****** M anual

Juergen

Dori Schmetterl> Glad it seems to have solved your issue. But what's RTFM?

Reply to
Juergen .

It's what we all had to do before we could STFW.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Oh no! Sue/screw The F***... W ?

I feel so ignorant today (so what's new?)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Sorry, RTFM I got from computer support - unfortunately STFW is also new to me (sounds useful though!)

Reply to
Simon