405 tailgate lock/solonoid

Anyone know where I can get a cheap tailgate lock or a tailgate solonoid for a 405 estate (94 Hunter)? I've never had a key for the tailgate lock and the central locking solonoid only works intermittently at best. I've stripped, cleaned and re-greased, fitted new connectors in case it was an electrical problem but no joy. The lock is the preferred option as I guess it'll give the least trouble in the future.

On the other hand, are there generic solonoids that work on the same current as the Peugeot one?

Ta D Peters

Reply to
Darren Peters

I'd prefer fitting a separate lock, such as a cabinet type camlock. My old Citroen Xantia had a push button boot lock with a keyway in the centre so you could lock the boot separate to the car- but not so clever because the remote opened it with the central locking whether or not it had been locked with the key. The newer car has a push button boot catch but no keyway, so if the thieves get in by over-riding the central locking (which they did by a simple method known to them- and now me) the boot opens as well. Whatever you do there's still no real security 'cos if they get in the car, there is access to the boot by opening the ski panel or dropping the rear seat rest. I have thought about bolting a large steel lockable toolbox to the floor of the boot but just never got around to it. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

A pit-bull or Staff chained to the towbar should have the desired effect, ;-) Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

What!? Peugeot stole the Hunter name from us Hillman Hunter owners?

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

ITYWF that they bought the name with the company. Not bad for one US dollar if the story is to be believed.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Just out of curiosity, what exactly was bought by Peugeot? I remember Chrysler becoming Talbot then Peugeot Talbot. Did they buy all of Rootes (would explain right to use the Hilman name)? What about Chrysler in the US?

Reply to
Darren Peters

If I remember correctly, Peugeot bought Chrysler Europe, which consisted of, among other things, all of the old Rootes group, Simca and the French side of Talbot (what was Talbot-Darracq, later Lago-Talbot). The US side of Chrysler was unaffected - though at one time it had a small holding in Peugeot South Africa, whether that changed I know not.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:cr404v$ee2$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

Oops, sorry - that should have been Peugeot South America. Makes a bit more sense that way.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson