Renault Megane boot won't lock

We just bought a W reg Megane, locked the car with the remote central locking and the boot won't lock, however, all of the other doors are locked.

We've looked through the manual and it says that the boot should lock/ unlock with the remote, but was wondering if there's something we're missing? Bit annoyed to say the least that we're going to have to take the car to a Renault dealer to fix it, the week we bought it!

If anyone has any pointers or suggestions we might've overlooked, that'd be great.

Thanks, Naomi

Reply to
Naomi

It could be very simple. The alignment of the bottom latch where the lid grips the lock. If the base latch can rotate slightly, then the lock in the lid will not grip. This can be fixed by rotating the latch back in position. The reason for this hunch is that it happened to my Saab

9000, yes its a different car I know, but cars have a lot in common.
Reply to
johannes

Does it lock with a key? The one on my 406 is independently lockable as well as working with the remote. If it does lock like that then it probably won't be lock/latch alignment, more likely a faulty actuator. The one in my old BX got sticky, IIRC taking the actuator out of the tailgate and greasing it helped.

Reply to
malc

it could be that the electronic lockin mechinism is not working if it locks with the key it is at fault if not its proberly the lock itsself a bit of wd40 wouldent do no harm

Reply to
markdunn.sonyplaystation3

And again in English please.

Reply to
malc

Take it you mean 'with punctuation'; ignore malc, he's a regular douche.

Reply to
Rajko

So why reply to me? I also meant with spelling as well. Still someone who uses a playstation to interact with usenet can't be that old.

Reply to
malc

No, it doesn't lock with a key, it's just supposed to lock with the remote central locking. We checked the rear fogs and number plate light to see if it's an electrical fault, they didn't work, changed the fuse, the lights now work, but the boot still doesn't (and we've since discovered, neither does the rear wiper). Just wish we'd noticed before we took the car off the lot, heh.

Thanks all for the help, Naomi

Reply to
Naomi

Could be boot lock motor ?

Worth getting a multimeter in there first to check its getting power if it is then its most likely the boot motor. Usually cheap to replace and simple after removing a few bits of trim.

Best in future to check every single thing when buying a car especially something like everything locking and unlocking, flip the switching, move the windows up and down check as manuy things as humanly possible :) ... sellers hate me.

Reply to
James

Wiper too? Could be a fault with the wiring as it passes through the hinge part of the tail gate. As James said, you probably need to check it with a multimeter and see if voltage is reaching the parts that it's supposed to reach, and also that there is a decent earth connection.

Reply to
malc

There's a little motor device that clicks round when you click your immobiliser, which sounds like its gone.

url:

Tracey Harris

I bought a Renault megan 16 valve 2000 model. It seems that the boot does not lock. It has a remote. I need advice can one fit a manual lock with a key

Reply to
adam.ma245

Check if the lock is in the boot lid. If it is, check the wires in the rubber tube between the body and boot lid. There are often three for remote locks. Open, lock, earth. If it won't lock OR open, one of the first two have usually broken. If it does neither, it is usually the earth. Don't just join it. Add a new section of wire.

I've often wondered why they don't put the boot lock on the body, it would be less prone to this type of failure.

Reply to
Brian Reay

the reason would probably be that is more likely to get stuff dropped in it. when mounted in the boot gravity will keep out most stuff.

Reply to
MrCheerful