Re: Loss of engine power to air conditioning?

JC Whitney catalogs used to carry add-on vacuum switches that would cut off power to the A/C compressor if the throttle vacuum reached a certain point during hard acceleration. Once the vacuum came back up, it switched the compressor back on.

In those days (30 years ago), it made a huge difference to click off the A/C for hard acceleration. With a car full of passengers and a trunk full of luggage, it wasn't unusual to have to shut off the A/C to make it up a steep grade.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed a click or RPM drain on my new MBs; maybe they're variable compressors tied to the ECU?

Many would say it wouldn't matter... but it does. A/C only kicks off when > you do a full hard acceleration. Half throttle or anything less than > triggering your kickdown switch would not turn A/C off momentarily. > > By switching A/C off, you unload the engine from the extra > strain/friction/load... yielding quicker acceleration. It really does make a > difference... > > Try it yourself... drive the car normally with A/C on... and do some > spirited acceleration. Then do the same driving with A/C off... you will > notice quicker and better response from engine. > > >
Reply to
Rugbyguy

It could be... the new compressors are super efficient that has very very minimal draw from engine... then again... engine nowdays are very powerful that only people with smaller engine might notice it.

Most of us has older cars and man, they really draw power from engine.

Reply to
Tiger

air friction at higher speeds can be tough from the 60 to 80 mph range the grill on that truck gets BIG real fast.

i had a 240 with auto & AC. trust me you wanted every bit of power you could find short of throwing your mother inlaw out the window

case

Reply to
pool man

Ha! 30 years ago I had big full size Amerikan V8s that gave several hundred horsepower and could care less how many people and kegs you had in the car and trunk. Now this wimpy little "girly man" 4.2 liter V8 in the S Klass body is kind of slow. But it doesn't seem to matter much whether or not the ac is on or off - it accelerates about the same in all conditions. And what sort of little "baby man" cars are you driving that a Mack Truck does not slow down and get out of your way when you are passing ??? Them ole boyz in tha bak jist stiks their haids outn tha winders and them ole truks baks rite off!

mcbrue cooly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

You can also use power if you use a lower octane gas than that recommended by the manufacturer

Reply to
WPWise

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (WPWise) wrote

Varying the octane rating of the fuel to a "given" engine will produce NO change in the power produced by that engine. Octane level ONLY affects the point at which the engine will start to ping or knock. The manufacturer specifies a minimum octane level to eliminate knocking when the engine is producing its rated power.....but it will produce that rated power on a lower octane level.

Bob Moore

Reply to
Bob Moore

I beg to differ. Althiough Iam not a mechanic or an expert in the field, I do know that I get less ummpf if I run 87 octane as opposed to the recommended 91 or 93. Was almost killed once when my Toyota Cressida refused to go and the problem was related to low octane and lack of power. Switching to 91 solved the problem and I have been a believer ever since. Had a similar problem in a

95 Volvo 850 and going tot he higher octane fuel fixed the problem.
Reply to
WPWise

how true on the Rambler and the vac pump for the wipers.

it was more intrusting when you let up on the gas and they went so fast ya could not see them BUT WHAT A BED THEY HAD!

the yester years of the autos

here is one to think about. first correct answer gets ya nothing. how did you know if your spare tire had air in an OLD VW BUG?????

case

Reply to
pool man

If you could use your windshield squirts, you had air in your spare, man.

Groovy. . .

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

BROVO!!!!!!!! it was a nifty idea don't ya think?

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man