Re: Mercedes 300E

The 300E is very similar to my 260E. I had a simialr problem and I had to replace the viscous fan clutch, as this was not engaging at around 110 degrees, so the engine was not getting any forced air cooling whan at a stand-still.

My car does not have air con (rare in the uk) so there may be an additional probelm to do with the aux fan for the air con with your car.

Regards, Al Bolton ================================

Reply to
Al Bolton

Ryan:

If your mechanic told you that you need to replace the aux water pump then I strongly suggest that what needs replaced is the mechanic.

The Aux Water Pump is part of the climate control system, not the cooling system. It insures delivery of hot water so you get hot air out the defrosters.

I do not know what year your 300E is, therefore I do not know which engine you have. I have a 93 300E with the M104 engine. I suspect you probably have the M103 engine.

Here in Arizona with ambient temps hovering aroung 110F, even in stop-and-go traffic with the air-conditioner running full blast my temp gauge almost never exceeds 105C. Yes, 85C to about 110C is normal.

It sounds like your problem relates to the electric aux radiator fan(s). Depending upon year you may have one or two. These fans are two-speed fans. They come on at low speed when when the high-pressure side of the air-conditioning system reaches a certain pressure. They switch on at high speed when the coolant temperature reaches 110C.

When you pull into the driveway at the temp gauge is reading above 110C, pop the hood and check the fans before shutting the engine off. Are they turning?

Also, a lot of times a pile of dead leave can accumulate between the fan and the ACC condensor, or between the condensor and radiator. Shine a bright light through there and check.

BTW, competant MB mechanic should have no difficulty isolating problems like this.

Best Regards, Dave Barnhart

93 300E

While sitting at stop lights after driving for some time the temperature

> gauge steadily moves up to 110-120 degrees. > After I start driving again the gauge goes back to 80-100 degrees. I was > told that the my car runs hot and 80 - 100 degrees can be considered as > normal. However, I was told that when sitting there is not enough > circulation in the engine coolant to get hot water moving through the > heater core. > > I was told that this problem can be corrected by replacing the auxiliary > water pump.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Dave Barnhart