Engine splash shield effect on performance

My E420's splash shield fell off when I was driving slowly (5mph) into a deep rain puddle in roadway and I realized it was getting too deep, I stopped and slowly backed out and later notice my splash shield was missing. Other than the obvious reason to use the splash shield, by not using splash shield am I effecting the engine's performance due to heat loss in engine compartment? What other effects of not having shield may there be?

Thanks, Derf

Reply to
Derf-E420-94

Derf-E420-94 ha scritto:

Much more noise. Less electrical reliability (more humidity enters and increases oxidation of contacts, with the so called.... xmas-tree effect on warning lights...). More potential rust on all metal sheet details. So, I'd say, in general less reliability.

I'm not sure about heat loss and related problems you mention. Most probably the gas consumption will be slightly increased. Especially at high speed due to turbulence and less efficient aerodynamics.

It won't cost so much.... eventually try to find one at the scrapeyard... Bye. Stefano

Reply to
Cordy

You're not affecting the performance due to heat loss. There's loads of excess heat, which is why cars have radiators. There could be some small effect on drag, but at avg driving speeds, I doubt it amounts to much.

Reply to
trader4

I thought the main radiator fan clutch has a heat sensor that engages fan clutch when ambient engine compartment heats up, spinning fan faster? Mine doesn't seem to spin faster even when engine temp peaks to top white bar???

Reply to
Derf-E420-94

No panic. I'd replace it in a reasonable time to prevent water getting into unwanted places. There will be a minor effect on drag and hence a very minor decrease in mileage (probably unmeasurable by you). Little to no effect on cooling.

EJ > My E420's splash shield fell off when I was driving slowly (5mph) into

Reply to
Ernie Willson

A thermal fan clutch runs the fan at lower speeds when the air moving from the RADIATOR to the fan is cooler and increases the speed with increasing air temp. It's there to save some small amount of energy by not running the fan at a higher speed than necessary. That isn't going to be affected much, if at all, by whether you have a spash shield on the bottom of the vehicle or not. The main thing regulating the engine temp is the thermostat, which controls the water flow through the radiator. There is a huge amount of excess heat being generated by the engine. No small change due to not having a splash shield can cause a heat loss making the engine less efficient due to a lower temp.

I'm not sure you'd be able to tell the difference without actually measuring it. The speed varies by maybe 2X.

I'd just stop worrying about it and when you have time, go to a salvage yard or online to find a replacement.

Reply to
trader4

I had the splash guard off my C270cdi for a while, and I thought the car ran a lot cooler - approx 40c indicated at sustained highway speeds, and it was noticable that the interior heater didn't seem as warm as normal. It normally runs above 80C in city traffic. It definitely affects noise too - note the absorbent materials on the engine side. If it is dirty, I would degrease and steam-clean it before re-fitting, and also steam-clean the front underside of the engine and cross-member area to keep things nice and tidy.

john

Reply to
John (Ireland)

That does not sound right. A working cooling system, even at its most basic configuration (radiator, thermostat, pressurized, flowing air), should be able to easily keep the engine temperature around 85C, plus or minus 10.

The fan helps at lower speed. Fan affects very little when vehicle speed is faster than 30 mph. The fan draws air through the radiator. It is not used to send air to engine to cool. More or less air flowing through the engine bay has no effect to a modern day water-cooled engine.

John (Ireland) wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Thanks for the above. I was beginning to think I was alone here. If a car is running at 40C on the highway, it for sure isn't due to the presence or absence of a spash shield on the bottom of the engine. I'd be looking at a missing thermostat.

Reply to
trader4

It is not really about heat... it is also aerodynamic for under the car... less wind resistance.

Reply to
Tiger