Re: shaking S500

All dealers say: "They all do that."

Call the M-B Zone rep; only he can authorize the warranty work needed to correct the defect.

Discouraging isn't it? Pay a lot for a super premium car and still get the old dealer run around. Makes one want to buy a big three car the next time! At $22K one kind of expects this.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Truth ... ah yes ... what is truth ... this is a question for the ages. Many philosophers have debated this question but few have really come to an answer that more than two or three other people consider to be correct or, dare I say it, true. In essence, I feel that truth is a concept that needs to be defined much more carefully than it usualy is, especialy in the car dealerships sponsored by gud ole Jerkin Shrimp. It is obvious that your car shakes. This is a true statement. Now clearly the problem can be seen in a more expanded light by asking if the dealers opinion is not also true, ie, do all his cars also shake. You see it depends on how you define shake. So if you define it one way and he defines it another, then you can both be right or both be wrong. In fact this essential ambiguity often dogs us even in politics. Consider the question of defining sex as did our great leader Clinton. Obviously he defines sex much differently than does Baby Bush. And it is quite likely that Clinton has much more experience to rely on than Baby Bush does, judging from their early lives. While Clinton was climbing out of the slums of Hot Springs Ar and getting himself to the greatest universities in the world entirely on his own efforts, Baby Bush was stumbling around in a daze going where Dady Bush sent him. So of course it is intesting to speculate on which of them was in any condition to "get some" during their formative and college years. Of course the great gud ole Jerkin Shrimp himself used to sling the prize secretary over his shoulder and carry her off to his room toward the end of the MB parties. And it is easy to speculate and quite likely true that after such drunken exits, there was a whole lot of shaking going on. So you see this is a rather complex question that you have asked. It has great ramifications for the human condition. So please do not be too hasty to assume that the dealer is a bald faced stupid liar who assumes you are a totaly stupid incompetent idiot who would not know an improperly behaving car if one came up and bit you. Perhaps he just has a different definition of shaking. Or perhaps even a different definintion of truth.

mcbrue briefly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

A 2003?!!! Motormounts shouldn't be an issue (unless the car was hit and mounts were torn or broken). Go to the dealer, start up a brand new 2003 S500 and see if it shakes. If not, well, go to the service manager and drag him out to the parking lot and have him compare that car to yours.

Those cars have hydraulic motor mounts and shocks. There's no reason for them to shake at all whatsoever.

Satish

Reply to
Satish Tummala

Heheee... yep.

I had to have one motor mount replaced on my SLK at around 18K, and two on the S320 at around 36K. In both cases the service manager said that he had never seen one of these cars need motor mounts replaced. I'm just lucky I guess. (neither car had ever been in an accident)

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Charley -

The truth is that dealers will say *anything*. I rarely visit dealers. They do provide me with access to certain proprietary parts, for which I both thank them and pay them. On one recent trip to my local dealer, a lot salesman spotted me getting out of the 450 SL and buttonholed me before I had a chance to reach the parts department. He pointed at a big automobile carrier parked in the street outside the agency off-loading brand new Mercedes something-or- others destined to be sold to new unsuspecting customers. He pointed at the cars and asked me, "Aren't those beautiful? I can offer you a great trade-in allowance on that car you drove in here. Don't you think it's about time for an upgrade?" I looked over at the new car sliding down the auto carrier's ramp and commented, "Is that the new Toyota?? When did you guys start selling Toyotas...??" He let go of my arm right about then.

Jerry Wolfram '78 450 SL - 210K miles

"Charles M. Folk" wrote:

Reply to
Jerome K. Wolfram

What's the truth? 2003 S500 ???!!! The car is pure silk and if I hear such a bullshit from the dealer for 100K car he is in serious trouble. Get another opinion or call MBUSA. Please update when you solve the problem.

D.

Reply to
DCM

I feel better about mine lasting 220K miles then.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

That is a good point about Clinton. He was self made and he did come from a background that did not have the advantages that many Presidents had. It is easy to forget that.

I wonder if he drives a Merc?

Were the MB parties really that good? I always pictured the corporate persona as being more reserved. I wonder if they need programmers?

MCBRUE wrote:

Reply to
greek_philosophizer