P0740 error code

My daughter's 2001 Civic LX had the Check Engine light come on. The error code was P0740, which is apparently a torque converter clutch malfunction. I assume that has something to do with the lockup function. Honda service in Tampa said it would be a transmission replacement but recommended she keep driving it until it quit - which may be soon or forever.

I've seen posts in several forums saying to have the transmission flushed but further posts that it really doesn't resolve the problem. Any suggestions? If it's just that the lockup may or may not work, I don't see that doing any damage for around-town driving. I'm inclined to tell her to keep driving it until other problems develop.

The car is a 2001 Civic LX with 125k on it. She's put about 25k on herself. Car is otherwise in good shape. Belt changed about 10k ago. New tires, etc. So the car seems to be worth keeping.

Reply to
Flatlander

Flatlander wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

According to TSB 01-049, it's the torque converter thats gone bad. Apparently there's paper material on the torque converter piston, and it deteriorates.

If you're out of warranty and the dealer isn't willing to try and get you a "goodwill" warranty fix, then your best bet is to just drive it until it breaks.

You may wish to go back to the dealer and try this: Mention TSB 01-049. Ask them if there's any way they can ask Honda to work a deal where, for instance, Honda picks up the parts and you pick up the labor. It might work.

Reply to
Tegger

I've been reading this apparently happens a lot in this model year.

Thanks for the great information and good tips. I'm not sure whether the daugher is up to pushing at the dealer. May take it there myself when we're down there at Thanksgiving. Doing something like picking up the labor would certainly be a reasonable cost repair!

Reply to
Flatlander

Flatlander wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, yes. That's why there's a TSB. Honda does not issue TSB's for one- off problems. TSB's are reserved for issues that are widespread and common.

Remember: Be polite and be reasonable. This is /critical/.

You will be trying to use your diplomatic prowess to convince the dealer to negotiate with Honda on your behalf to repair a vehicle that is very much out of warranty.

And remember that the dealer is NOT "Honda". Honda and the dealer are totally separate companies, owned and run by different people, and possessed of physically and legally separate stores of money.

If the dealer outright refuses to play ball, there may or may not be issues between that dealer and Honda. Not all dealers have the same reputation or relationship with Honda. At that point you may ask (politely) to be put in contact directly with Honda's zone rep for your region. You then explain the situation (and your willingness to negotiate) to the zone rep.

What certainly helps in any case is if you've maintained a steady and good relationship with your dealer. This makes them /much/ more likely to go to bat for you with Honda.

Reply to
Tegger

And don't forget the "my young daughter with MANY years of car buying ahead of her...".

Reply to
Seth

Unless her Civic lasts her a lifetime.......

Reply to
Stewart

Hah...it just might. We're still driving her '87 CRX that she had in college. It's got 151k on it now. At the rate she's going, she'll pass that up with the Civic in another year. We've had at least one Honda in the fleet since the original '76 Accord. We've been an all-Honda family for about 15 years now.

Thanks for the advice, Tegger. Yeah, no point in being adversarial with the dealer. They're doing a favor and have nothing to lose in the deal. I'm probably going to trade the 2001 Accord we have before this kind of thing develops.

Reply to
Flatlander

If you wind up talking to a Honda rep (as opposed to the dealer), this is definitely worth mentioning as well. Demonstrated brand loyalty over a long period of time is a significant factor when there's a decision to be made as to whether to approve or deny a request for a goodwill repair on an out-of-warranty vehicle.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

All good talking points. I have owned Hondas without a lapse for the past 26 years myself.

Reply to
Stewart