Rear space in a 1980ish 300D wagon?

Hello,

How much space (length really) can you get in a 1980s vintage MB wagon (300d?). Does the third seat fold down flat or can it only be removed if you want the space for cargo. Also do the 2nd row seats fold down or are they fixed in the upright position? I assume they can be unbolted and removed to maximize cargo space?

Thanks!

jj

Reply to
jj

The 'TD' is the wagon. I've got a '79 300TD. This is the W123 body style and I believe the wagon was manufactured from MY '79 to '83.

If it's got the third-row seat, it folds down flush with the bed. Indeed, looking at how much space is there I can't imagine the third-row is comfortable in any way.

The second row seats fold flat. The bottoms fold up so they touch the backs of the front seats, and the backs fold down into that space. I'm

6'2" and can collapse the back seats fine, although the bottoms get squished a bit. The bottoms can be removed entirely if so-desireable, but it only gives you about 6" more room. There are "release levers" on the bottoms so removal is tool-free. FWIW, I keep a 12V air compressor and a box of Kleenex on the floor behind the driver seat, and I can still fold the back seat just fine.

So yeah, all told, everything folds flat. Leaving the seat bottoms in place, there's maybe 5.5', 66", or 170cm in there front-to-back. I'm not super-sure about that, but I do know that I can't lie down back there. With the second row of seats up, I think there's maybe three or three and a half feet (around a meter) between the door and the seat back, and I think it's about the same width.

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Thank you for a very comprehensive reply Tom. This newsgroup is great and I hope to be using the info herein soon on a firsthand basis.

JJ

Reply to
jj