4runner for a family of 5?

I'm looking at a 2001 4 runner for my next car. My only concern is it will be big enough to take a family of five camping with luggage and supplies. Or will three kids across the back seat be squashed and picking at each other.

Let me know your thoughts. Rob

Reply to
RobV

You know the saying, the smaller the kid, the more junk they have? Well, my family of 5 consists of hubby and I and two 5 year olds and a 2 year old, all in car seats. We won't be outgrowing this 4Runner unless we have another child, and even then I'll opt for installing a third row seat and getting a gear trailer instead of a larger vehicle. (hopefully that won't be necessary!)

We've gone on weekend camping trips locally, 3-6 hour road trips in state, and on 3000+ mile round trip cross country vacations with it. They seem to do ok with all their toys and with trays on the backs of the front seats to keep organized. We manage to fit a large cabin tent, one bundle (sometimes

2) of firewood, 4 large and 3 toddler size folding sports chairs, a big ice chest, clothes, blankets, five sleeping bags, four 1/2 size pillows, a milk crate (or box, whatever's handy at the time) of other assorted supplies, two paper grocery sacks of non-refrigerated food (usually go in the rear floorboard since the kids are short and in car seats) and two lanterns, all without using the roof rack. Also add in diaper bags, first aid kit, my beading supplies and my mess of camera gear. Any longer a camping trip than say 3-4 days, and we'd probably have to utilize the roof rack for extra clothes and put some gear there to make space for the extra food unless we shop locally after we set up camp.

We also have a cheesy cheap roof top bag, which we've used on long vacations in case we need extra space for the things we never expected to buy (came home with a computer system, all still in boxes, a kid sized basketball goal, and other purchases crammed into the cargo area, and typical luggage on the top.) It works well, but I'd rather have a slim sleek case instead. I've also just tied things to the top with miles of cording and bungees.

Granted, I've made the same sort of long distance vacation as a kid with a family of five in an 85 Civic wagon, including a small dog (and we still had room for a second dog, a large collie sized stray which we adopted on the way home) so my 96 4Runner is quite roomy IMO. Three kids are going to pick on each other no matter how much space they have, so don't worry about that too much. ;) It's called 'sibling rivalry', and no amount of space will help that. Trips in our Econoline 150 conversion van were just as loud, just as animated. The key is having enough activities and enough stops along the way (about every 2 hours of driving, or sooner.) Binoculars, cd players, and handheld games are key items for keeping the peace! All can fit in a seat organizer with ease.

We've gone sledding and snowshoeing in the winter as well, for the last 3 years, and the truck holds all the sleds and gear in the cargo area with no trouble. That's a large two-man sled, and two heavy duty plastic youth sleds (all quite bulky) and the snow boots, snowshoes, bibs, coats, and blankets for afterward. It's a no brainer loading up to go snowing. (again, add in snacks, my aforementioned personal gear, and kids toys/diaper bag/first aid, etc.)

Other things we've hauled in the 4Runner with the kids in place: high capacity electric dryer in the box, an old futon and mattress, two new toddler beds AND the mattresses and foundation board (the race car and vw bug sort, and that was a stretch, we had one in box on top and one dismantled out of the box inside with the mattresses... not really 100% "safely" in the legal sense but we made it the 30 miles from the store.) I can't think of everything, there's been a lot of odd things transported. I think we hauled the futon in a 90 Corolla clone when we first bought it, though thinking back it was really crazy how I managed that one. *G*

Learn how to maximize packing space, get one with a roof rack and buy the cheap $30 roof bag to keep handy in case you need more room (don't pack there first, or you wind up overpacking!) I always stage things a night or two in advance so I know just what we need for camping and what we don't, and I do a trial packing (I leave it if it fits, if it doesn't, I redo.) Don't bother paying out the wazoo for a superlarge vehicle to prevent fights, unless you just have some large, long-legged kids and they need the extra physical space. And also consider your roof and whether you could use a small trailer or a hitch mounted basket for your extra gear.

Reply to
Pookerz

I've a family of 5....14 y/o girl, 10 y/o girl, and 6 y/o boy...

The Fourrunner won't do...

Look for a 95-99 Landcruiser....

The gas and maintenance will kill you, buy hey...when you decide to have 3 kids, that's the least of your worries.

Good Luck.

Walt

Reply to
WaltMattil