repair costs on lexus vs. mercedes

Page 3 of 3
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Hmm. He seems to have owned both and is of a different opinion.
Lets see how the S8 holds up.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

I've owned 3 Audis, 6 Lexi and 7 Mercedes. There is NO QUESTION AT ALL that the Lexus quality/reliability is far superior to the German makes. Period. I'll never go back.

Yes, but my wife gets the Lexus. How has your experience been as between the Audi and Mercedes lines?
I'm hoping my 2002 S8 Audi will be more reliable than my 1999 S420 was (electronics, not mechanical, the small V 8 was great).

His S8 experience is miniscule compared to his M-B experience.

That's true. I won't know for quite a while since the S8 only has 22,000 miles on it. I do have an extended warranty, just in case, but that doesn't answer the question of reliability. If this Audi isn't reliable, it will be the last German vehicle that I own.
I will say that my Porsche 911s of the 70s and 80s were bulletproof, and I still hold this bias that high end German vehicles "should" be excellent. The Mercedes was a disappointment (mild) in that regard.
As you say, I don't know enough yet to have an opinion on the Audi. I love the car, and I hope it will be reliable.