S430 2005MY A Service Due

I got my 2005 S430 in Sept 2004 and have only 6700 miles but I already get a message that A service is due in 29 days. Is this normal? I do half city & half highway driving.

Thanks in advance, Ricky

Reply to
RickyE

It was not reset when you bought the car. It started ticking off the time when it was built. Part of the PDI [Pre Delivery Inspection] when the dealer 1st got the car was to reset it. Don't feel bad..... none of the techs do it where I work either, even though it is on the list!!

message that A service

Reply to
Karl

If the countdown starts listing days it means it is calculating by time, not by the more usual distance (because of low mileage). Happened to me recently. Coming up to a year, I think.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks for the info. The car was manufactured around July 2004. That explains it.

I thought that since I now have to pay for maintenance, the service intervals are only 6,000 miles apart. When MB paid for maintenance, the intervals were 13,000 miles apart. ;-)

I wonder what the dealer service center will charge for this?

Thanks again, Ricky

Reply to
RickyE

Hmm, let's hope MBUSA doesn't read this! :-)

Too much. I would recommend that you call your dealer and ask about the price for an oil change only vs. the full "A" service. Find out what you get, besides an oil change, with the "A" service and decide it it's right for you.

Most of the time, just an oil change is around $100, which isn't bad because if you DIY, it will cost over $40 in oil and filter parts, and if you go to a quick oil change place, you will might risk not getting a fleece MBZ filter and might not even get the correct Mobil 1 full-synthetic oil.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

I did not even realize they were supposed to reset the service date counter upon PDI. I assumed that MBZ wanted the vehicles serviced at least every 12 months, regardless of whether they were sitting on a delear's lot or a customers driveway.

By the way Karl, I see your e-maill address is "aufever". Is that "au" as in Auburn University? Are you by chance at a dealership in Alabama?

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

No, I am a weekend gold prospector..... gold 'au' + fever. Great hobby, but don't quit your day job! Some people just starting out think it is a great-rich-quick profession. If you consider it a hobby and enjoy the outdoors, it is very enriching. And I am in Fresno, Calif.

upon PDI. I assumed

whether they were

Auburn University?

Reply to
Karl

What, you mean like going to Disneyland/World and panning for gold...?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

No, like driving up to the gold country north of me and prospecting.

If I don't feel like driving an hour, I only need to go 15 minutes away and I can find gold all the time. It is fine gold and I can get at least a 1/4 ounce a day but the fun part is finding the nuggets...... gold is gold, fine or nuggets.

outdoors, it is very

Reply to
Karl