Pontiac Vibe gets POOR gas milage! Why?

Hello all,

My Vibe gets about 21 mpg. Most of my driving is on the highway. It said on the window when I bought this shoe box 33 mpg highway 29 city. Is it this winter reformulated crap gas or is it the Vibe? Here I thought I would get a car with a four banger and I would save on gas. Heck my old Buick Skylark got better milage then this piece of junk. My Vibe has 28,000 highway miles on it.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Michael Fell

Could be a lot of things - cold weather, reformulated gas, your driving style ( do you floor it every time you take off and drive 85 on highway? ) It's still under warranty - why not take it back to the dealer and ask?

Reply to
WiScottsin

"Everyone" keeps coming in here with that complaint. Could be the fact that its nothing more than a van with high drag and that motor has no LOW END torque or hp to move it effeciantly at highway speeds. All epa stickers are rated on a treadmill and they do a poor job of factoring in drag coefficiency I think.

123@6000 hp 118@4400 torque 2980 Curb Weight 4.24 Final Drive Ratio

Your skylark done better because it was more squat and had more low end torque where it was needed and a higher final drive ratio. The lesson here is, dont buy a van or any big vehicle with a 4 banger. Its just to overworked. Remember all the smoking chrysler minivans? All 4 bangers. I'd have to drive my bonneville really really hard and aggressive on the highway to be getting 21mpg...AND IT WEIGHS MORE! I can get a good 28-

30mpg running a constant 75mph. Hopefully you still have your skylark.

I think a 3800 would make the Vibe a sweet efficient runner.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

It has other issues as well so it is going to back to the dealer. I may just leave it there and get a real car. :-) Too bad I traded in my

2000 Grand am GT for this piece. I wanted more fuel effiency. The Grand am got better mpg.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Fell

fuel efficiency in a 4 cyl only works when the vehicle in question weighs less then 2800 lbs.

Reply to
Paradox

I couldn't agree more

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

Yep that is a wonderful motor.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Fell

You must have other problems. I have been getting 30 for day one. Could be a bad injector.

Reply to
Tj

I've had a Vibe for a half year and always get in the low 30's with a mix of highway and city. It's under warrenty - get it checked.

Reply to
Bruce W. Ellis

Most common problem with poor mileage is an oversized right foot.

Reply to
clare