shudders in reverse & headrest problem

Hi,

Interesting one...

as of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a UK 1988 W126 500SEL. Really happy with it, but it does have a couple of things wrong...

  1. When reveresing slowly, the whole car shudders. This clears up when speed picks up.
  2. The electric headrest (passenger side) is stuck at its lowest setting. I've tried pushing the release button in the back of the seat, and pulling it up, but it wont budge.

I've had a few mercs before (from 2 A160s to a 350SLC via a couple of

190E 2.6s), and this is by far the classiest place to be. The petrol consumption is TERRIFYING, but the old girl was only 450 pounds, so i'm not worried by these silly little problems so long as the shuddering isn't the gearbox about to give up.

Any advice would be greatully recieved.

Many Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
daniel

Change the fluid and filter to see if it clears up the tranny problem. Otherweise, it is a rebuild time.

As far as headrest is concerned, did you hear motor moving? You have to take off the back cover for the seat to release it.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger,

Thanks for getting back to me...

Is it likely to knacker the box if i just ignore it?

No, I couldn't hear the motor.

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
daniel

Knacker? Gee... I need an English to English dictionary. You really need to service the tranny to see if it will be better... Otherwise, it will get worse.

I know my older W126 has no headrest motor... are you sure you have it? If so, I'd check the fuse... the wires and the switches to see if the motor moves.

Reply to
Tiger

hi daneil i presume your car is auto to be honest i wouldnt think it was in the box the judder might be lots of things check prop centre bearing rear subframe rubber mountings that sort of thing,hand brake not sticking on,i wouldnt worry about it ,as for the head rest take the back of the seat and depress the clip most problems with the older merc,[mines twenty] is lubrication,wd 40 sorts lots out.hope it keeps going for you cheers frank

"daniel" wrote: > Tiger, > > Thanks for getting back to me... > > > Change the fluid and filter to see if it clears up the > tranny problem. > > Otherweise, it is a rebuild time. > > Is it likely to knacker the box if i just ignore it? > > > As far as headrest is concerned, did you hear motor moving? > You have to take > > off the back cover for the seat to release it. > > No, I couldn't hear the motor. > > Thanks, > > Dan

Reply to
frank133

hi tiger,knacker means will i total it,comes from the old days when a horse was past its usefulness it was then sent for slaughter to be made into glue or whatever this was referd to as going to thr knackers yard or another one is i am knackerd means i am tired,getting back to daneil problem i would check the oil in the tranny but a rebuild on a car that cost 450 thats eight hundred doller give or take,would it be woth it,oh ye over here if you call somthing a tranny it means a ford transit van,aint english great,no offence :? :? cheers frank

"Tiger" wrote: > Knacker? Gee... I need an English to English dictionary. You > really need to > service the tranny to see if it will be better... Otherwise, > it will get > worse. > > I know my older W126 has no headrest motor... are you sure you > have it? If > so, I'd check the fuse... the wires and the switches to see > if the motor > moves.

Reply to
frank133

LOL... No, you won't 'knacker' the transmission (not tranny) by changing the oil and filter. It is either better or same condition.

Reply to
Tiger