clutch shudders in '98 Accord

'98 Accord DX, standard transmission with approx. 85k miles (150k km)

The car shudders as the clutch engages in 1st gear. I assume it's a clutch problem. However, it's only noticable when going into 1st gear. The problem gradually goes away as the car warms up.

Is it possibly something simple, or do I just need a new clutch? Any particular part(s)? Any idea how much $ I can expect to pay?

The problem started a couple of months ago and has slowly gotten worse.

Any info. or help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
the who

-------------------------------

Try driving in first gear at 'crawl speed' with the tach hitting the same RPM you'd be going on the highway. If it starts to buck when it hits that RPM, it's your TPS, which is worn out at that exact spot. Picture a big volume control, like on your stereo. If you always listen to music at the same 'level' you might eventually get a flat spot on the control too. The TPS is just a potentiometer with three leads attached to your throttle shaft.

Search this NG, or use google.com / groups to find out more if my guess is correct.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Chances are that the plate has a hot spot on it or perhaps a little worn which causes a chatter when starting off. Stick with it until it becomes too annoying.

Reply to
TWW

One more thought, wacky as it sounds - try adding a bottle of injector cleaner to the gas. Also, if it's been a while since the last tune-up now is a good time to take care of that. I have had two cars, an underpowered older Volvo and a Nissan 300ZX, that shuddered like a grabby clutch in first gear only when they had engine weakness. Otherwise, there were no other symptoms. Ignition in the Volvo, injectors in the Nissan.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Good call, Mike . . misfire would show itself at low rpm.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

If the clutch feels fine after it warms up, it sounds like the same thing that was going on with my Accord. I THINK that some Honda clutches get a film of water vapor on them after sitting overnight. Try warming the clutch after you start the car by holding your foot on the brake, and letting out the clutch until it just starts to engage for four or five seconds. Do this a couple of times, and see if it feels better as you drive away. My clutch lasted 200,000 miles and had the slight shudder from the time it was new till it wore out. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob