Sprinter question.

Currently the Sprinter is being sold in the US and Canada under the Dodge and the Freightliner name plate. They are equipped with the 2.7l 5 cyl. turbo diesel.

It is my understanding that they have been sold in Europe for some time now. What kind of reliability reputation do these vans have?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I hear it is good but I have never had one.

If you want one that isn't white with strange options you have to order it and that takes months since they build them in Europe and ship them here for final assembly.

They need to build them in the USA.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

A friend of mine in Australia has one. He loves it to death. As for reliablity think "tank". He's had his airborne in the desert. "no worries".

Rare and expensive. I looked for one at xmas. I found one used one in all of Canada. Apparanly people don't want to sell them for some reason...

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Here in Germany we say _Sprinter-Class_ for all those vans, be it MB Sprinter, VW LT or Renault Master etc. pp.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

You can get them with wings?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Ditto.

I've spoken to a couple of acquaintances in the states who have them and they're getting 25+ mpg (better mileage than a Chevy Astro!).

I've only seen a few of them on the roads in Nova Scotia.

Tim Delaney

1984 300SD
Reply to
Tim Delaney

OK, so do I infer from this that a Sprinter is better, eq1ual or worse than the VW or Renault? Do these have a reputation like the 300 D going a half a million miles on a regular basis or are they run of the mill?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The VW is the same - ok, different engines and slightly different front look - as the Sprinter, the bodies in white are identical. With the successor it will be the same next year.

Mileage depends on several things, but the engine is known to last long; it is basically the same engine as in the 270CDI passenger vans (you don't get them in NA) and if serviced regularly, not chip-tuned and carefully driven until warm I see no problem to reach very high mileage.

The Renault Master is the same as the Opel Movano resp. Vauxhall Movano and Nissan Interstar, the Fiat Ducato is the same as a Citroen Jumper resp. Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer, the Ford Transit has no such _twin_, but the Transit leaves the coice of fron or rear drive.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

The VW is the same - ok, different engines and slightly different front look - as the Sprinter, the bodies in white are identical. With the successor it will be the same next year.

Mileage depends on several things, but the engine is known to last long; it is basically the same engine as in the 270CDI passenger vans (you don't get them in NA) and if serviced regularly, not chip-tuned and carefully driven until warm I see no problem to reach very high mileage.

The Renault Master is the same as the Opel Movano resp. Vauxhall Movano and Nissan Interstar, the Fiat Ducato is the same as a Citroen Jumper resp. Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer, the Ford Transit has no such _twin_.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

My uncle has one with a couple hundred thousand kilometers on it for his produce selling business, no problems, loves it.

The ones in North America have automatics, people here are too lazy I guess, should be a noticeable difference in fuel consumption.

look for sprinter mileage examples at the top german car trader sites

cp

Reply to
cp

They are *ALL OVER* the place here in the GTA.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I've seen several in Calgary, as well.

FWIW, I've also seen a few fully licensed Smart cars on the roads here, too. (Though not near enough to get them into profit).

John M. '94 E320 Bigger than a Smart, smaller than a Sprinter

Reply to
John Mauel

I'm startng to see a few too.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Smarts seem to be catching on in Tronna, though I am not yet convinced that they're not paying people to drive a small fleet of Smarts in the AvDav neighbourhood where all the clever people live.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yes, that would be the smart thing to do.

Reply to
Richard Sexton