SPRINTSHIFT vs AUTOMATIC

Plus the UK( and not the US ) get AWD and 4x4 options:

Seems to me those would go over well in the US.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

In the USA the Sprinter is sold with the same 5 speed automatic transmission that they used to put in the E class. In other countries they put in something called a Sprintshift which has 6 speeds and both automatic and manual modes.

In terms of automatic capabilities are there any significant differences between the two? It would seem to me that 6 speeds would be marginally better than

  1. Why would MB sell a vehicle in the UK with a six speed automatic and in the US with a 5 speed automatic?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I believe that the new 2005 SLK350 will come with the 6-speed manu-matic (aka Sprintshift) as an option in the USA.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (greek_philosophizer) haute in die Tasten:

A sprintshift is a manual gearbox with automated clutch and electric shifting device (simply spoken). I can shift automatically, but it usually is opreated manually. Its benefits are better fuel economy and no performance loss against the usual manual gearbox. These issues are very important in a market, where most van drivers are not used to find an automatic gearbox in a van and where a gallon of fuel costs a fortune.

The drawback of a sprintshift is its lack of smoothness while changing gears. No UK van driver, used to drive a Ford Transit or a LDV Convoy, will notice that.

In the US most vans are equipped with an automatic gearbox and most drivers do not know how to operate a manual box. Besides this fuel is cheap. So an automatic gearbox will meet the customers expectations better.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

So they can charge Americans more next year for the

6 speed rare euro only option. :-)
Reply to
Richard Sexton