Stick VS Automatic?

Seriously looking for a replacement Miata. Thanks to all who offered suggestions as to where to look. My bride and I are true stick shifters...but there seem to be an abundance of automatics out there. Is that because they detract from the true "spirit" of the roadster? Interested in hearing from those who have driven both types. Tom

Reply to
Cat in the Hat

When we were visiting the USA a few years ago, we noticed a couple of the big hire car companies offered Miatas. Like everything else, they were all autos. I suspect a lot of Miatae probably started life as a hire car. I guess this means they were serviced regularly, but driven by people who didn't give a toss about long term reliability.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Nope. Automatic Miatas are quite rare, and I've never seen one available for hire anyplace I've been in the US.

Probably so.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
mickey53usa

"Cat in the Hat" wrote

We own both. The '97 5-speed is a whole lot more fun to drive than the '90 automatic. That said, the '90 automatic is a whole lot more fun to drive than a Toyota Corolla. Now if we are talking a new MX-5 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters, the automatic may come a bit close to nirvana. I don't have experience with that one (yet).

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Following a bad car accident I was anxious to see if I could "do" a Miata again. The first challenge was "can I get in it?". At this time I was still using a walker. The only car they had available was an automatic. I got in and gave it a little drive. It was a Miata, but it wasn't MY Miata. It did encourage me to finish the physical therapy on my hand so I could shift again! Once I got into another stick I knew there was no way I'd buy an automatic Miata. Now, if I were shopping for a Lincoln Towncar....

Reply to
Carol

I believe that a big part of the beauty of the Miata is the total driver involvement. You know, up close and personal. Perfect balance and all that stuff. A big part of that is having the car in the perfect gear at the perfect time to deliver the perfect amount of power for the situation. With autos, you never seem to know exactly when / if they are going to downshift or bog. No thanks, not for me. As previously said, the paddle shifter version should be closer to wonderful in this regard.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I own a 6 speed and it just offers too many choices. I would prefer a 5 speed if I stuck with a manual. But being an old fart, I've shifted a few million times in my lifetime and believe me, the thrill wears off after a while. If I were to buy a new Miata, I would get the auto. I would likely get better gas mileage with the auto as well because I tend to put my foot into an auto less often than a manual. I think manuals excel on the track, but a modern 5 or 6 speed auto makes a lot of sense on today's highways - especially city driving. I have driven several Miatas with autos and was very satisfied with the sportiness.

You need to drive both before you decide - our opinions are meaningless.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I completely agree, with exception for those that are simply unable to physically drive a standard or just want the car to cruise around in.

My general rule is autos for big trucks/vans or highway cruisers and standards for anything small, especially if it only has two seats.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I read that in Europe, cars are 80% manual, 20% automatic. Here it's the opposite. I guess most people here just hate driving.

I could maybe see paddle shifters with an auto mode for traffic. But a full auto, never.

Reply to
Carbon