Strange speaker situation

Hi Experts :-)

I have a 1984 MBZ diesel and after about 10 years the speakers went belly up.

I didn't bother about the situation for a few years and then installed two new Jensen Hi-Fi speakers. They had a very good sound quality but it began to fade after a few years. I ignored them and eventually I opened them up and discovered something interesting. The diaphragm is divided into 3 annuli (annuluses, if you prefer). The two inner ones were in perfect shape and the outer one had totally disintegrated.

Now, I am an avid DIY guy and would like to know if anyone ever replaced the outer annulus and, if so, what fabric and glues were used. The width of the annulus is about 12-15 mm or about 1/2".

TIA

Reply to
JD

There are alot of cheap high quality speakers on ebay... no reason to buy something like Jensen speakers.

I prefer to buy component speakers in front and you can score them cheaply on ebay.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Tiger for your usual great reponses.

Do you know which speakers have reasonable lives? It seems ridiculous to make or buy speakers that have such a weak link as the outer annulus. It's a horrible waste of resources - a few percent pulling the rest down.

Excuse my ignorance - what is a component speaker? The two that went belly-up were at the lower two corners of the windshield. Is there a brand that is noted for its quality and price?

BTW, I thought e-Bay was a place where all kinds of products were sold and some scamming occurs.

Thanks again and have a great week :-)

Reply to
JD

I don't even know what model car you got... and the size of speakers you installed... whether it fit tignt or loose... loose fitting speaker is #1 reason for blown speakers.

All the faminilar names are alright... depending on what you are looking for and what kind of power you give to the speakers.

Component speakers are speaker that separated the tweeter from woofer... so there are 4 speakers per set with crossover. For tweeters... I usually install them on the door or just double stick/glue it to the windshield pillar.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Cordy and Tiger.

I investigated the speaker holes in the dash board of my MBZ 240 and was reminded that I had to cut off two of the corners on the speaker frame, leaving only two screws holding each speaker. I had no idea that a coil as small as the one I have would be so strong as to keep wobbling the speaker until part of the diaphragm was destroyed. Bad judgement on my part. Well, we live and learn.

Cordy: All I had to do with the Italian page was to copy it and paste it into FireFox's Add-On - ImTranslator. It can translate dozens of languages and is located under Tools. I might just be tempted to try the work of the Italians but I would need to do something with the 2-screw setup. I believe 3 should be a minimum.

Thanks again and have a great holiday weekend :-)

Reply to
JD

Here is an example of 4" component speaker for your frtont speakers...

The reason you had to clip speakers is because you needed "euro' ear mounting pattern... where each corners has only prongs. Like this style...

The above is just for reference only...

This one would work for you...

All pretty good. I don't know what head unit you have now... some speaker is more demanding for power... Soundstream demands the most power... so I would not recommend it unless you have external amp...

All others are resonable... Pioneer is the easiest to drive... Clarion and Precision Power is good... about 30 to 40 watt to drive... Take your pick... all with free shipping.

Myself? I'd probably pick the Precision Power out of these bunch.

Reply to
Tiger

JD ha scritto:

Yeah, but automatic translators sometimes come up with strange phrases... I'm glad to read that this is not happening with that page translated from Italian to English. But it doesn't happen very often, I believe... ;-)

Reply to
Cordy

That's true for some languages but the translations of the more common languages like German, Spanish, etc are now pretty accurate. Many of the others are improving remarkably. A year or two ago the translations were bits of garbage.

Be patient :-)

Reply to
JD

Thaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkk you Tiger for this huge effort. Now I wish I hadn't planned to go to Europe in a couple of weeks :-( Will save your post and will definitely work on it later.

Thanks again and I hope you had a super holiday weekend.

PS : I forgot to mention previously that Clarion is the brand of radio that I have.

Reply to
JD

They are usually still total crap for anything moderately complicated. Perhaps it looks better if you don't actually know the source language.

X.

Reply to
Ximinez