Tranny Fluid for 1990 560 SEC

I would really appreciate answers to 3 questions

1) How do you check the Automatic Trans Fluid level? 2) How do you add fluid? 3) Is there a specific ATF fluid for this tranny ?

All responses are greatly appreciated

Reply to
GM
1/ Selector lever in park have the engine running for 1-2 minutes then check level by releasing the black safety catch under the red cap and pull out the dip stick.

2/add fluid in through the filler neck using a fine filtered funnel.

3/ Manual states MB Auto trans fluid (doesn't state alternatives or industry standard ratings.)

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

In park on LEVEL gruond with the car FULLY warmed up, engine running. Find the trans fluid cap - it's clipped to hold it closed, uclip it. Pull the dipstick out and wipe it with your CLEAN FINGERS - NOT a rag which might introduce lint into the tranny which might wreck it. Wipe your fingers with a clean lint free cloth. Put the dipstick back in then pull it out and look at the level. The fluid should be red, bot brown and if it smell burned, it is, replace it at once.

Overfilling is as bad as underfilling.

Through the dipstick tube with a CLEAN funnel.

Standard GM type (NOT Ford type) transmission fluid. Dexron III.

Add fluid if required. With the brake on more the gear selector through each ger for a second or two, then measure the level again. If you've added too much you HAVE to remove this. The easiest way is with some small diameter vinyl tubing you can get from a hardware store or petshop - it's used for aquarium pump airline tubing. Then just siphon it out.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Ahh Well, I just quoted what it said in the owner manual of my 1990 560 SEC where it states test after engine running for 1-2 minutes...It seems Richard knows something my manual doesn't....

Does it make any difference 1-2 minutes of running or fully warm?

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

You can let the car stand idling for hours, the trans oil will never reach operating temp. You HAVE to drive it at least 5 miles to warm up the trans oil. Transmission oil is heat sensitive, it expands when hot. If you do a fluid and filter change and then refill it, ONLY fill it to 10mm BELOW the low mark on the dipstick. Then drive the car and check it. You will find it to be correct when the trans reaches operating temp.

Reply to
Karl

Karl,

How much fluid would that normally be, for an 89 300E for example. This would be after draining the pan and Torqu Convertor.

Thanks.

Karl wrote:

operating temp. You HAVE

heat sensitive, it

fill it to 10mm BELOW

it to be correct when

Reply to
Thom

I'm not gonna argue with the manual but it seems shocking to me they don't want the tranny fluid warmed up.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Err, Karl, your saying the Mercedes owners manual is wrong?

Just curious?

Although the Range Rover I owned said it had to be driven and fully warmed etc, which is why I was surprised with what the manual said, I've just double checked and I did read it right, clearly states check oil after engine has been idling for 1-2 minutes...that's all.

Alan M

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I would say so. Maybe it should read that the car should sit level, at idle for 2 minuted AFTER DRIVING. This will ensure it is warm, and the fluid has settled.

Reply to
Thom

It wouldn't be the first time. You could always ask them to clarify this.

Reply to
Richard Sexton