Tranny Fluid change

I would change my tranny fluid myself, but if I do it I won't be able to get it out of my torque converter. I read on another ng that you can drill and tap a plug in to the converter. Is this true? I have a 1984 gmc 1 ton 350 automatic 400 tranny.

Reply to
bob

Shep

Don't do that. If you're really worried about the small amount of fluid in the torque converter, then drain the tranny, install a new filter and put it back together. Remove the tranny cooler line from the top of the radiator and move it gently out of the way. Bend a piece of brake line into an "L" and screw it into the radiator where you removed the tranny line, with the long part of the "L" pointing down into a bucket under the car. Fire up the car and let it idle while you pour in new ATF as the tranny pumps the dirty ATF out into the bucket. You'll be able to guage how much and how fast to pour by watching the rate at which you are filling the bucket. When the fluid pumps bright red out of your downspout, shut the car off and put everything back together. Check your ATF level and adjust as necessary.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

For goodness sakes do not drill it! just drop the pan change the filter and fluid and life will be good.

Reply to
pnsman64

Thanks Mike....I took it to mr. lube...they charged me $169.00...I noticed they put about a litre or 2 extra in there, so I unhooked it from My rad and took 2 litres out the next day. Now the dipstick is where it should be when my motor is hot. I know having too much fluid is probably worse than having not enough. Normally I do everything myself, but your theory would get most of it out. I'll try next time.

Reply to
bob

Ouch! I just could not bring myself to pay that kind of money for a tranny service.

Ain't it great? They whack you that kind of money and then don't do the freakin' job the right way.

I used to pump my torque converter as I described, but I no longer do. Tranny fluid is not like motor oil. Simply servicing the tranny by draining it and replacing the filter is really all you need to do. The little bit that's in the converter will not contaminate the new stuff. You're really fine not worrying about it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My local shop charges $75 for labor, oil, filter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just thought I'd point out that the majority of AT fluid is in the torque converter. Not a trivial amount.

Reply to
Jonny

Not a GM car, BUT, when I removed the converter drain plug on my 02 Town Car, I was amazed at the amount of fluid that came out. I got more out of the converter than I did by disconnecting the cooling line. I have no idea why GM doesn't put drain plugs on their converters.

Web Site:

David Starr

Reply to
ROY BRAGG