tranny noise on 300 SD?

Hi all, My car is making a rattling noise when I put it into Reverse or Drive. When it's in Park or Neutral, it quiets down. Time for a trip to the transmission shop or is there something simple to try first?

Thanks, Jeff

1984 300SD 212,000
Reply to
Rooster

Little update here:

I checked the obvious and found that the transmission has too much fluid--half an inch over the max line. I've had this car about two weeks and forgot to check the level. Only checked the fluid color and smell when it was wasn't running.

I have a new filter and was planning to drain the fluid and change the filter anyway.

Would an overfilled tranny account for the strange rattling?

Thanks again, Jeff

Reply to
Rooster

Allways try the easiest thing first. Just try to run after correcting the fluid level. I doubt it will help, but then you have eliminatet one thing.

RD

"Rooster" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
RD

I would look for a broken/missing exhaust hanger or a collapsed motor mount first.

Reply to
me

Update: I changed the tranny filter and put in the right amount of fluid. The noise, however, came back. There's no noise when it starts up and is cold. It only makes the noise after getting up to temp.

I'll take it to my mechanic this morning and have him give a listen.

Jeff

Reply to
Rooster

I would say the engine mounts are bad... causing you to hear the rattling that seems to come from tranny. Common problem.

Reply to
Tiger

Indeed, fortunately this turned out to be a simple solution to a simple problem. I took it to my mechanic this morning who immediately figured out that the air filter housing was banging against the engine. A scrap was cut from an old radiator hose, wedged in between the two areas and the problem was fixed. Sometimes you just need another body to check things while you're in the car.

The whole thing took ten minutes and he didn't even charge me.

I came back later that day, though, and tossed the guy a twenty for making my day.

Jeff

Reply to
Rooster