transmission hints

I don't know if this is a documented feature of MB transmissions. On my

320CDI yr 2000 with 5 speed auto and sideways shifting up and down the gears, I am able to hint to the transmission to change up even when D is selected. If, for instance I am driving gently down a hill and the transmission is giving me unwanted engine braking by staying in 4 (as implied by revs, even though D is shown on display) I am able to persuade it to shift into 5th by a right sideways shift of the transmission stick. This is quite repeatable, and useful.

Are there any other undocumented tricks with MB transmission?

Reply to
nihil