Transmission wierdness

I know this is not a 4x4 but it is a GM product.

I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana with 138K on it. I changed the trans filter and fluid at 70K.

I noticed last night the transmission was making a whining sound. The best way to describe it is when you turn your radio to an AM station and it picks up the hum from the motor. High pitched. If I gave it gas real quick and let off it would quit.

It runs at 2500rpms now where as it used to run at 2000rpms. When you let up going down a hill it used to slow down by the transmission. The tack drops to 800rpms like it is in neutral. Then when you go up the hill the tack shoots back up to 2500 and you feel the lurch.

If you switch between "D" and "3" there is no change in the rpms at all. However when using "3" it does slow down like it should down hills.

For the last 6 months or so it would shift rough between gears. if you shut it off, let it set for a minute or two then restart it, it would shift smooth again. Sticking solenoid??

Have I lost overdrive or is it something sticking? I am going to change the filter and fluid tomorrow evening and see what happens. Very easy to change. Any additives I should add? My mechanic suggested a bottle that was red colored but for the life of me I cannot recall what it was called. I just never got around to changing it. He said that sometimes can help the sticking solenoid.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Lannie

Reply to
LS

Sounds like either the lockup clutch in converter is bad or the control circuit for it is bad. The converter stalls around 2500 RPM so you will not see much if any RPM drop when 4th gear (OD) engages if lockup clutch in converter is not functioning.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I take it that is expensive to fix? :)

Reply to
LS

The converter itself is not expensive if lockup clutch is bad and can be had for under 200 bucks, the problem is that is is very labor intensive to replace it as tranny has to be removed from vehicle. If it is a control problem in tranny to ativates lockup, it should not be to expensive. Given its age and mileage thought I would tend to lean toward the converterclutch being worn out/defective.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Should I bother with replacing all the fluids then?

I will have to drive it in 3 for quite a while as I will not have the money to have it worked on for quite some time.

Thanks!!

LS

Reply to
LS

Sounds like the fluid is way too low or something is restricting fluid flow.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
David Johnson

I checked it last night after driving 60 miles. It was WAY too full. It measured a good inch above the full line.

It was a slight red-ish orange color. The filter and fluid and additive is cheap, so maybe I should just try it.

Reply to
LS

Fluid color is good. You could try a fluid and filter change as it will not hurt anything nor will driving it is drive/3rd gear for a while as cars came without OD for many years and they lasted a long long time.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

The problem is that the 4th gear hub is stripped out. Happens all the time. If you want to confirm this drop the pan and see what kind of metal shavings are in it if any.

Reply to
scrapir

I replaced the oil and filter last night. There were no metal shavings at all. There was some silver sludge on the magnet, but not very much. The pan was pretty clean. The fluid smelled burnt but wasn't too bad a color.

We'll see how it goes after driving it that way for a while.

I noticed when I put the funnel on the fill tube for the transmission it created a bullhorn type effect. You could hear from inside the transmission. It sounded kind of noisy and rough. Is it supposed to sound like that? Almost like when you put a socket extension against the pulley or alternator or water pump to listen to the bearings when they are noisy.

Reply to
LS

The additive was called LubeGuard. It's in a red bottle. This is what my mechanic recommended. He uses it when there is a sticky solenoid and the customer does not want to pay to have it fixed. He said most of the time it works nicely, so we'll see.

Reply to
LS

========= =========

Your mechanic is either an idiot, or a lier.

LubeGaurd WILL NOT....fix a "sticky solenoid".

Fact, not fiction.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Well it has fixed the solenoid. The shifting is smooth as silk. Hasn't done that for 6 months.

However the overdrive is still shot and I am going to have it rebuilt. The quote I got for a complete rebuild including updates for it from GM will be $1700 including labor and tax. Does that sound about right?

LS

PS This mechanic is one of the best around. Great reputation and always busy because nobody goes to the other 3 mechanic when this guy does SO much better. I trust him 110%

Reply to
LS

======= =======

I change my mind,

it's not yer mechanic,

it's you that's either the idiot or a lier.

~:~ MarshMonster ~Transmission Technician~

36 years automotive repair ==================
Reply to
Marsh Monster

You really show how stupid you are when you post like that. If you actually had a clue about mechanics you would have offered the proper advice instead of bashing someone you don't know.

Bye bye.

Reply to
LS

========== ==========

yeah, i've heard that before.

proper advice? sorry, thought i gave some. (in my own little way)

bashing? sorry, I wasn't try'n to bash. I was try'n to point out the obvious.

a clue about mechanics? ok, you may have me on that one. I concede.

~:~ MarshMonster ~36 years auto tech~

Reply to
Marshal Monster

========= =========

ooops......... brainfart.

~:~ marshmonster ~31 years auto tech~ (sorry if you were mislead by the 36 years)

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Rookie.

Reply to