vacuum troubleshooting

Hi,

My 83 300D does not want to shut off when I turn off the key. Generally it turns itself off within 15-20 seconds. The entire ignition keyswitch is new so I think I must have some bad vacuum lines.

Is there a troubleshooting how-to around anywhere?

John

Reply to
JTurner

The engine is shut down by a small vacuum powered bellows inside the aft end of the injection pump. Over the years the bellows wears out and leaks - yes oil is drawn into the vacuum system.

Most likely the "shut down device" needs to be replaced - this isn't hard to do but IS tricky as the device must be hooked onto the end of the fuel rack inside the IP. An experienced shop will charge an hour of labor to r/r the shut down device. It costs about $75 as I recall.

My car's symptoms were that its engine no longer instantly stopped but rather trailed off to a stop over a few seconds. A new shut down device fixed it.

Of course a vacuum leak in a door lock could also be the cause as no vacuum = no shut down.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"T.G. Lambach" wrote

Not usually the case, because the vacuum pump draws enough vacuum while the engine is running.

The problem is often just the tube that runs to the ignition switch just above the oil filter. I "think" it is the brown tube, but could be wrong. It is also important that the tubes were not connected backwards when the new switch was installed.

Suggest John go to

and do asearch. Many discussion there and diagrams for this problem. To check the actual shutoff on the injection pump, you can use a mityvac (small low cost hand operated vacuum pump) - very useful for all vacuum troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Reply to
GBM