transponder key situation, but no key: Ford Explorer

A Ford Explorer 2001 that takes a transponder key.

Let's say you have no keys, what would it take to get a new key made? Is this only possible at the Ford dealers? How much roughly will it cost?

Is there any workaround? Is it possible to break the steering lock and enable the ignition?

I'm in Kansas City Kansas.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

It is sometimes possible to negotiate this situation with the vehicle's computer, in which case the cost is not hugely unreasonable. Some locksmiths can handle this; any dealer should be able to.

If not, it becomes necessary to replace the vehicle's computer, in which case costs probably start around $500 and go up from there. In that case, you're talking to the dealer, or possibly to an auto mechanic if you're willing to accept a second-source module.

No.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

in my area $150 plus trip charge..

the ignition lock has LITTLE to do with the system too.. no transponder-no start..

plus proof its your vehicle..

IF you regularly have it serviced at a Ford dealership- call.. this will mean an extra tow charge to get it to the dealership..

if you have only one key, it requires the programming tool to add the SECOND.

you cannot 'have a transponder key cut', put it in and turn on and have the vehicle work..

If you are interested, the programming tool that the dealer uses is about $7,000 plus now, too.

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed. Just call your dealer for a price..Replacing the computer will only place you back to square one- you will still need the keys cut and programmed. Also, it is the KEY that enables the ignition; it will still not start just because you break the lock and are able to turn the switch.

Reply to
Ted

the transponder started in the Explorer in mid-year 2001

A locksmith that does trasnsponder keys can help you with this. prices vary depending on your goegraphical location. price for making key + programing key + transponder key. we would charge in our area $150.00 note; while you are at it, have two made and programed. that way you can add a third key yourself without having to get it programmed.

No...

No...

sorry for the cross-posted reply. just trying to locate you.

g'luck

-- "Key"

Reply to
'Key

its my understanding that starting with 2000 you CANNOT add a third key without the programming tool..might vary with model, but they 'pulled this option..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

my dealer is telling me different.. owners manual is not showing on board adding of the third key any more PRE 2000 or so, yes... 'some' models, you can.. but some cannot..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

This is indeed the truth.... 02 and later pretty much (AFAIK) conform to the user being able to program a third key at home providing they have both programmed keys. Before 02, there were some variations as PATs strategy was being implemented/studied/improved.... this included no user programmable features in some years/models.

One should always be wary of assuming things....

Reply to
Jim Warman

. . . as it pertains to the topic at hand.... I dug this link out. . .

As to the OPs concerns, I agree with the higher minds hear........ Be it from a locksmith or the dealer, getting another key is the least costly alternative. Not the only alternative. Just the most economical and most logical.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

about your link. wtf is this guy talking about, volts of resistance? get a pack of resistors close to your voltage.....ok.....right... shouldn't it say measure your keys resistance, buy resistors to match...Is he just making this up? he also said the wires are covered in tubing that say 'SRS caution' on them. OMG. did you read it marsh?

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

===== Shoe,

I read it. Don't know how true it is....but I read it.

If you click on the link at the top right of that post...... it'll give the thread it was posted in.

I know it's doable on the the GM vats systems that use the resister in the key....but....I've yet to come across a sure fire method on Fords pats systems.

The dude that made the post may not have used his terminology according to practicle application, but I understood the proceedure as he outlined it. Not so sure I'd be brave enough to go chopping on wires marked for the SRS though. lmao..brave dude.

any whooo...

like they say on TV......don't go try'n this at home. :)

~:~ marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

VATS is way different than PATS (as the Ford system is known as).

VATS was used on GM type vehicles and involved a resistor. The early models used values 0 to 15. The later models dropped 0 and used 1 to

  1. It is essentially a resistor embedded within the key. You have 1 out of 15 (or 16) of getting the resistor value correct. Think of it as a letter of the alphabet (as an example). Just guessing the correct letter is fairly easy.

PATS (and all other Transponder technology) uses a transponder, which is a radio wave frequency. The computer sends a signal to the head of the key and it responds with a unique value. If the value programmed within the computer memory is found, the vehicle will start. There are BILLIONS of transponder codes within this technology. There is no fooling the system with a resistor. Think of it as a fingerprint. Guessing what fingerprint it requires is a whole lot more complicated.

Sunsh> .

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

. . TOP POST ======= ======= Thank you, but I am very much aware of the differences in the two systems.......and the operational parameters of the two.

but.....

nice posting style.

~:~ MarshM> VATS is way different than PATS (as the Ford system is known as). >

Reply to
Marsh Monster

When you have no keys the cheapest route will be to go to the dealer. THey can make a new key based on the VIN or other numbers found on your car if you still have original steering column. Im not sure dealers are required to have the same prices for this stuff so maybe call a few to see who is cheapest.

No, thats the point of the system.

Isin't that where they make the Ford Explorer? They make some Ford there. You can probably get a blank key from someone at the plant, get a lock smith to cut it, and get the dealership to program it. You can probably program it without the tool, but the procedure may be secret or hidden in the owners manual. I know GM can be done without the tool, but it takes 1/2 hour.

Note: European anti-theft rules are different and euro vehicles anti-theft behaves differently.

Reply to
dnoyeB

IIRR, when they first came out with it.. TI who at that time made the chip was talking about 42? quadrillion codes without duplication.

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

first out transponder Fords required 45 minutes..assuming NO keys. First out with the NON on board programming, require the hand held plug in device takes about 12 minutes..10 of that being a timer lockout built into the system. but if you do not have the required tool, you cannot program ANY keys into the vehicle..

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

that is ALSO 5 years old now-and actually closer to 6.. they changed it on the newer models.

--Shiva--

Reply to
<>

I don't know where you are looking, here is a cut and paste from 2001 Explorer Owner guide, 1rst printing page 118:

Programming spare keys

A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only

SecuriLocky keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you

will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already

operate your vehicle's engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily

accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.

If two previously programmed coded keys are not available (one or both

of your original keys were lost or stolen), you must bring your vehicle to

your dealership to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

  1. Insert the first previously

programmed coded key into the

ignition and turn the ignition from 3

(OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition

in 4 (ON) for at least one second).

  1. Turn ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2

(LOCK) and remove the first coded

key from the ignition.

  1. Within ten seconds of removing

the first coded key, insert the

second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least

one second but no more than ten seconds).

  1. Turn the ignition to 3 (OFF) then 2 (LOCK) and remove the second

coded key from the ignition.

3

2

1

5

4

Controls and features

119

  1. Within 20 seconds of removing the second coded key, insert the new

unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 3 (OFF) to 4 (ON) (maintain ignition in 4 (ON) for at least

one second). This step will program your new key to a coded key.

  1. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this

procedure from step 1.

If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle's engine and the

theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.

If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle's engine

and the theft indicator will flash on and off. If failure repeats, bring your

vehicle to your dealership to have the new spare key(s) programmed.

Controls and features

120

Reply to
Ted

My original response was: (You simply need to have two new keys cut for the vehicle and reprogrammed). That is all there is to it.

Reply to
Ted