new key programming problems

Hi

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I have just purchased a key from ebay and had it cut at my local key cutting store. I have come to follow the steps but the SKIS indicator light never turns on:

B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS indicator in dash starts to flash F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is programmed

Both keys I have will start the car, I have put key 1 into the ignition and turned it it to on (by on I assume its the position that you drive in rather than the start position) all the indicator light show up the dash beeps 4 times all light go out, so 5 seconds after turning key is about the time the beeps stop, turn the key to off (all lights go out) put the second key in and turn to on, all lights go on, 5 beeps, lights off, continue waiting but the SKIS indicator never starts to flash.

Am I doing something wrong , should the jeep beep 4 times ( I assumed that it is just checking gauges)

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
toxicated101

Jerry Bransford

I don't get the problem.....

You say the programming worked fine because the key works right?

Maybe the light bulb is bad?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Seems to me I remember something about having to have 2 pre-programmed keys to make more. I only got one with my Jeep and the dealer charged $80 (40 for parts and 40 for labor) for another one, which we proceeded to lose...

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

What am I missing? He says both keys will now start the engine....

Mike

Mike Romain

I only got 1 key when I bought my WJ. I bought two blank transponder keys on eBay and then had a local locksmith cut and program the first key with their computer interface machine using the SKIM code I got from the Jeep dealership PARTS department. The cutting and programming cost $24.99 and the key blanks were $11.99 each.

I then programmed the second key myself after getting it cut by using the directions on

I would recommend following the "Quick Steps" as the extra information in the "Detailed Steps' initially led to some confusion. Quick Steps:

A. Purchase a blank key and have it cut B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS indicator in dash starts to flash F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is programmed

Reply to
billy ray

[...]

The reason I got 2 keys made was so I would have a total of three, if I lost one I would not have to pay another programming fee.

Reply to
billy ray

Hi

Maybe I didn't make my self clear, I got the jeep with 2 keys both work and start the car, I have now purchased a 3rd key had it cut and it is this key I am having problems programming.

Key A (Original Key starts car) Key B (Original/spare Key starts car) Key C (New Key has been cut, needs programming)

I insert Key A and turn to on, wait between 3 and 15 seconds, turn to off. I then insert Key B and turn to on (withing 15 seconds) and wait, but no SKIS light comes on.

I assume the SKIS light is the one of the picture of the key with the line going through it. Which works because it comes on during the initial lamp test, you know when you turn the key to on and all the lights light up, then go out after a few seconds.

I have followed the instructions , they don't seam so complicated, insert one key turn to on wait 5 seconds, turn off, insert key 2 , turn to on wait 10 seconds light and a beep should be heard , insert new key, but no light or beep.

Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers

Matt billy ray wrote:

Reply to
toxicated101

Yes, the dash light is in the shape of a key with a circle around or X through it. The system will also chime once at the completion of each step

I would try the "Quick Steps" below again exactly as these were what I used successfully.

The second key you are using. Is it a fully functional key? (as opposed to an 'emergency or valet" key)

Are you sure it is actually a transponder key? There are non-transponder keys available that look extremely similar, a locksmith can tell by placing it in a black box that senses if a chip is present inside the key.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that there is a limit to the total number of transponder keys (8) that you can program into the memory. I wonder if it is possible that number has been reached?

If these steps don't program they new key I think you may have to go visit the dealership. I'll post the entire procedure, per the manual, in a following post

Quick Steps:

A. Purchase a blank key and have it cut B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS indicator in dash starts to flash F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is programmed

Reply to
billy ray

Bill, I'm going to forward the PDF if you want to add it to your collection...

STANDARD PROCEDURE

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SKIS

INITIALIZATION

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) must

be initialized following a Sentry Key Immobilizer

Module (SKIM) replacement. SKIS initialization

requires the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool. Initialization

will also require that you have access to the unique

four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original

SKIM. The PIN code must be used to enter the

Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This PIN number

may be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the

original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler

Customer Center. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC

CONTROL MODULES - STANDARD PROCEDURE

- PCM/SKIM PROGRAMMING).

NOTE: If a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is

replaced on a vehicle equipped with the Sentry Key

Immobilizer System (SKIS), the unique Secret Key

data must be transferred from the Sentry Key

Immobilizer Module (SKIM) to the new PCM using

the PCM replacement procedure. This procedure

also requires the use of a DRBIIIT scan tool and the

unique four-digit PIN code to enter the Secured

Access Mode in the SKIM. Refer to the appropriate

diagnostic information for the proper PCM replacement

procedures.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SENTRY KEY

TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING

All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are preprogrammed

to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer

System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the

factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM)

can be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight

Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key

transponder, the key must first be cut to match the

ignition switch lock cylinde for which it will be used.

Once the additional key has been cut, the SKIM

must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key.

There are two possible methods to program the

SKIM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the

Secured Access Method and the Customer Learn

Method. Following are the details of these two programming

methods.

SECURED ACCESS METHOD

The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles.

This method requires the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool.

This method will also require that you have access to

the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to

the original SKIM. The PIN code must be used to

enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This

PIN number may be obtained from the vehicle owner,

from the original vehicle invoice, or from the

DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. Refer to the

appropriate diagnostic information for the proper

Secured Access method programming procedures.

CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD

The Customer Learn feature is only available on

domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a

U.S. country code designator. This programming

method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry

Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available,

or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code

designator, the Secured Access Method must be used

to program new or additional valid keys to the SKIM.

The Customer Learn programming method procedures

are as follows:

(1) Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be

programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the

blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder

mechanical key codes.

(2) Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the

ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the

On position.

(3) After the ignition switch has been in the On

position for longer than three seconds, but no more

than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to

the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in

the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second

valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to

the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must

be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds

of removing the first valid key.

(4) About ten seconds after the completion of Step

3, the SKIS indicator in the instrument cluster will

start to flash and a single audible chime tone will

sound to indicate that the system has entered the

Customer Learn programming mode.

(5) Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer

Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to

the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a

blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition

switch back to the On position.

(6) About ten seconds after the completion of Step

5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the

SKIS indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for

three seconds, then turn off to indicate that the

blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed.

The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn

programming mode and the vehicle may now be

started using the newly programmed valid Sentry

Key.

Each of these steps must be repeated and completed

in their entirety for each additional Sentry

Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are

not completed in the given sequence, or within the

allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn

programming mode and the programming will be

unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit

the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a

non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should

see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8)

valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned

to the Off position for more than about fifty seconds.

NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle

while in the Customer Learn mode (SKIS indicator

flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle

were being started with an invalid key. In other

words, the engine will stall after about two seconds

of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as

a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed

as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

Reply to
billy ray

Hi

Thanks for looking

I'm pretty sure that they are both transponder keys, they both start the car, and the newly cut blank doesn't, well it does it just cuts out after a few seconds. Yer I was thinking about the 8 key limit as well, but I wouldn't have thought you would ever need to program 8 keys into the system. I would take it to the dealer, but the whole point in getting the 3rd key was to save my self that hassle if I ever lost a key. I think I'll put the newly cut spare in a draw and take it to the dealer if ever I loose a key.

I would imagine that its a computer programming job to remove the 8 keys previously stored, does anybody know what the system actually does if it has already 8 keys programmed, does it just ignore you or does it flash some light to let you know. I have followed the steps several times , with my seat belt on/off, doors open/closed, I've tried using the 2 original keys in different orders.

Thanks again your all your help.

Matt

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
toxicated101

He does say that, I was assuming the Jeep shut down again after a few seconds on the new key.

Seahag

"Mike Roma> What am I missing? He says both keys will now start the

Reply to
Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

A non transponder key will also start your Jeep (but the sentry system that will cut it after a 3 seconds).

Dave Milne, Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Milne

In his programming there is no indication of successful programming (lamp flashing or beeps) and the stalling after a couple seconds might indicate a non-transponder key

You can have most any locksmith check to see if it is a transponder key... all they do is stick the key into a 'black box' that checks for the presence of the transponder. This is totally independent on their ability to program the key.

This is the guy I got my keys from. His shipping is very slow but he had the best prices and they are Jeep branded keys instead of some generic key company.

billy ray

Hi Guys

I'm sure the new key has a transponder, I know the old keys do otherwise the car wouldn't keep running. The new key came sealed in a bag with instructions on how to program. Also If it was the new key that didn't have a transponder then the vehicle should still go into programming mode (flashing light and beep). Like I said the two original keys start and allow you to drive the car (that is they keep the engine running).

I guess the unit is up to its eight limit, something is faulty or the two original keys are maybe identical and thus the car doesn't know the difference between the first and second key so doesn't allow programming.

It doesn't really matter either way if I ever loose one I will have to go to the dealer. I've never lost a car key before , so hopefully I'm not going to start.

Thanks

Matt

billy ray wrote:

toxicated101