W123 diesel ignition lock and switch

I am trying to replace a broken ignition lock/tumbler, maybe whole column. I have a repair manual (Chilton's), but can get the tumbler out of the lock. Does the black sleeve come off (and how?, I tried screwing like the book says) or is that necessary to get the tumbler out? Any chance in getting it out without the key (my old steering column). And then how does the switch behind it come off? (later version) Thanks for any and all help!

Reply to
somecarnut

You need to be able to turn the ignition tumber to position one and stick big paper clips into the slot deep in order to remove the black sleeve.... or for the entire steering lock to come out.

If not, then you got to drill the tumbler out.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks , I duess the wire I used did not get deep enough (1.2cm). I'll try it.

Reply to
some_car_nut

I think it goes in nearly 1"... 2cm... you need to use large paper clip... wiggle up and down and all around to get it in deeper. Again, ignition must be in position 1 to do so... otherwise, the lock stays put and you cannot insert the paperclip deep enough.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for your help. I got the good lock out. Now, how do I drill out the tumbler on the replacement column ? It looks like hardened steel? Or is it easier to replace the lock and switch-back-cover ?

Reply to
somecarnut

It definitely is hardened steel. I have not done any drilling on the tumbler so I wouldn't know. But look at the parts you took off and see what solutions you can come up with for easier removal without key.

Reply to
Tiger