W126 Euro headlight conversion problems

Ok. I know I've read about this before in this group. I apologize for having to ask again.

I've got a '86 300SDL. I purchased MERCEDES W126 S CLASS 1980-1991 European Headlights off of eBay.

Close, but no cigar.

Electrical connections are different, but I expected that. Not sure what to rewire at this point...But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The lights will not fit in the car! At least the passenger side. The fixture seems to be too deep and keeps hitting the air cleaner asm. & preventing proper installation.

Also, the mounting holes for the screws to attach the headlight wiper motor are notin the correct position. I have a feeling that these lights would work on my '85 300SD, but not the '86 SDL.

Anybody have any similar experiences that can shed some light?

TIA

Reply to
Kevin L. Bray

I got a set off eBay this summer and installed on a 1991 W126. Here is a site to convert the electical plugs

got mine to work without ordering a replacement plug by trimming off thecorner of the US style plug - but his way is cleaner. The plugs come apartquite easily and allow you to rearrange the pins. I did not hook up thecity lights.

I did have problem with fitment. I had to make spacers out of thick walled tubing to put between the headlight's bottom mounting tab and the body. If I recall, the spacers were about 1 inch long. Top mounting holes were fine.

I removed the headlight wipers and used filler panels (without holes) from an older W126. Results:

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

The mounting for the headlight wipers are in the right position. Euro headlights are made as original equipment for all MBs in the world except for eighties vintage U.S. models. The tiny wiper arms will not transfer to the giant, glass front of the Euro headlight. They require a larger wiper arm and they use a different motor which mounts perfectly on the rear of the headlight. You will need adaptor plugs to use Euros with your car. They should have come with the headlight assemblies. The Euros should fit without hitting the air cleaner, you might want to contact the seller for pin wiring diagram and ask about hitting the aircleaner. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

Ah. Live and learn. I can forgo the wipers for now. But the fixture definetly is too large (front to rear, lens to plug) to fit in the passenger side. I've thought about removing the obstructions & install the light asm., then to see if I can reinstall the air cleaner mount asm.

As for the conversion plugs, I didn't get any. I'll ask the seller.

I know they'll look great when I can get them installed correctly.

Reply to
Kevin L. Bray

That's a great amount of help. The W126 looks great in the photo. The lights I purchased are I believe made in Taiwan knock-offs. I don't really care so long as they work like the OEM's.

I'd sure like to hear from somebody that has done this to a 300SDL, as it's part of the fresh air intake / filter for the Turbo that is 'obstructing' the installation.

Reply to
Kevin L. Bray