square to round headlight conversion

Is it possible to take the square headlights out of my 89 Jetta Wolfy and put in the round European headlights ?
My apologies if its a duplicate post. I couldn't find it in the search.

Chris
Chris Etzel wrote:

If you mean the "round European GOLF headlights", yes, but you will need a new rad-support and a new grille of course. A2 Jettas in europe had always rectangular headlights - European headlights of course - that did fit the same rad support and grille as the "aero" lights.
            Ingo

To elaborate just a bit, all A2s (85-92 Golfs and Jettas) have interchangable grille/headlight setups. To switch between the three OEM setups in the US (small squares on the 85 Golfs; aero headlights on 85-92 Jettas, 86-92 Golfs, and 86-90 GTIs; and 16v-style rounds on the 90-92 GTIs), one needs the appropriate radiator support, headlights, and grille. You can get a dual-round (Euro-spec 8v Golf style) setup for around $200, probably; you should be able to find a quad-round (Euro-spec 16v GTI style, similar to US-spec 90-92 GTIs) for around $300. If you do go to aftermarket lights, you may also need to do some minor wiring work and install relays; most of the aftermarket suppliers sell European-spec lamps, not the US-spec crap that we got OEM. For more info on US versus European-spec headlights, check out Daniel Stern Lighting at http://www.danielsternlighting.com /
Examples of aftermarket suppliers who can sell you headlight/grille kits: http://www.fastvws.com/acatalog/FASTADDICTION_com_Headlight_and_Fog_Light_Kits_2.html http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (I don't see kits, but they do have grilles and headlights...they may or may not have radiator supports) http://www.parts4vws.com/ (again, I don't see kits, but they do have headlights and grilles...I suspect they can get radiator supports as well) http://www.oldskoolindustries.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_idx

I think you will need a new radiator support (suitable for the round headlights) and a grille. Of course you will need the headlights, and fog lights if you are going that route also. ;-)
Some 92 GTs or GTis had round headlights.
There are complete kits to do the conversion, one place that has them is The Parts PLace in Auburn Hills, MI

I found the best price for me locally was $350. CDN tax inc. for the rad support, grill(no emblem), 2 headlights, two foglights and some wiring and bulbs. Should be cheaper without the fog's. I got it from Autobahn Dismantlers out of Langley, BC Canada.
-Andrew
The Sob story of it. I did the switch cause I busted up the front end and had to replace it all anyways. Then 6 months later I smashed all my new stuff in a freak low speed spin. ( The only two accidents of my 8 year driving career) Don't even have any pics to remember how cool it looked.

http://www.autobahndismantlers.com /