W201 - changing drive belt

Hi,

I need to change the drivebelt on my 1985 W201. The car has no AC. I am wondering if it is sufficient to loosen the alternator so the tension of the belt gets slack enough to get the belt off, or is it anything else I need to take in consideration?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Reply to
BBO

This car should have serpentine belt.... one belt that loops through everything. You need to loosen that big bolt on the tensioner...the one with idle wheel... and then on the top side, you will see a brass like hollow nut/bolt-like tensioner adjuster... loosen that and the tensioner will release the belt.

While you are doing that, I suggest you replace the idle wheel... that black cover in the center of the wheel pops off and you can then replace the wheel... only $20... Your idle wheel probably already rattling.,, making your engine sounds like a diesel.

Reply to
Tiger

Ok, great - thanks for your advice. Do you know of any images with pointers to the tensioner and the "brass like hollow nut/bolt-like tensioner adjuster"? I think I have an idea of how it looks, but would like to be certain.

Naah, not really. It's got only 61 000 certified kilometers on the odometer :-D

BBO

Go to autohausaz.com and you can look it up yourself.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks - I found it and have changed the belt now. What took the longest was drawing the path of the serpentine belt on paper so I could get it right. :)

Reply to
BBO