Warning light - ETS EL. Traction Support

Hi,

I have a 1996 Mercedes E300D & have the following warning light displayed:

"ETS EL. Traction Support"

Sometimes when this comes on, the speedometer stops working, sometimes not. Also, it seems less likely to happen early in the morning when it is cool....as the day goes on & it warms up...it seems more likely to occur.

Any ideas on what might be causing this ? Perhaps a sensor somewhere ?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Reply to
BLH

I think it is your battery. How old is it? My mom had the same problem... traction and BAS error... turns out to be the car battery. In the morning and first start... error woiuld come out.... if you turn off and restart, no error.

Reply to
Tiger

I to had this problem, battery would not hold a sufficient charge overnight. New battery solved it.

You might also want to check for an external power drain. Did you install any electronics recently?

Reply to
me

Thanks for the suggestions :-) I guess it's possible it is the battery, wouldn't hurt to have it tested anyway. The battery starts the car just fine though. Any idea what a sufficient charge is ? I would think that having enough juice to turn over a diesel should be enough ;-)

I hope that's it as it would probably be my cheapest option for repair ;-)

Thanks again,

Brian

me wrote:

Reply to
BLH

Our car starts perfectly too... it is just that the electronics needs certain voltage to function properly during starting. The older the battery, the lower the voltage will be during starting and that's what trigger the errors.

Reply to
Tiger