DII - Gearbox temp(?) Warning light.

Should I be worried about what I think is a manual gearbox temperature warning light coming on? 'cause mine did (or at least I noticed it) just after flumphing through several yards of deep, (2 to

3') but light snow drift this afternoon. Previously been driving in 2nd or 3rd around 25 to 30mph for a few miles.

Only a couple of miles from home so carried on, no hot smells and after being parked up for 10 mins or so the light stayed off on restarting.

Presumably there is a gearbox oil cooler some where that got full of snow? If so where is it? '04 DII TD5 Manual.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sensor is on the oil cooler, side of rad.

Reply to
Nige

I had this on mine last winter. Went away on its own. I presume the sensor got rather damp (and perhaps salty?) and started giving spurious warnings - much like the 'water in fuel' spurious warnings in similar conditions. Unless it starts recurring I'd be inclined to ignore it. Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

First thing yesterday it went off early (if it came on at all) in the self test sequence came back on after all the others had gone off and went off when the engine started. Then I did a 60 mile round trip and it behaved on the stop starts on that. All seems happy this morning.

Where exactly is the sensor? According to my RAVE the UK model manual DII doesn't have a gearbox oil cooler, so it's not likely to be up at the radiator...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is apparently a sensor on the transfer box, too (only, I presume, in the case of a manual): "Transmission oil warning lamp The transmission oil warning lamp is connected from the instrument pack pin C0230-7 on a BLG wire to header C0293. BLG wires from header C0293 are connected to the transmission oil temperature sensors. The sensors are located in the gearbox oil cooler and the rear of the transfer gearbox. If an earth path is completed on pin C0230-7 the instrument pack logic circuit monitors this as an input and provides power from the ignition supply to illuminate the warning lamp."

Apart from overheat problems, faulty switches, crud bridging the terminals there is the possibility of a wire chafing and earthing upstream of the switch.

If the latter, water/salty water at the chafing point is more likely in the present conditions. Just be thankful that it just puts a light on. I had a chafing wire which dropped the autobox into one of the limp home modes: that IS a pain. Took some finding, too.

Reply to
Dougal

It's in the transfer box. From memory - can't go out and look 'cos SWMBO has left me marooned here whilst she attends to the 'urgent' shopping! - I think its towards the rear on the nearside. There's only one electrical cable to the T/B. I removed the connection, wiped it dry, smeared a glob of silicone grease around everything and put it back. Been OK since.....but then it may have been had I taken no action for all I know. Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

Isn't there one for the diff lock light as well? Always assuming that you have a DII with the diff lock gubins in the box. I'll have to check that when crawling underneath to look for this oil temp sensor connector.

My old (Y reg) DII had the diff lock spigot on the transfer box, and warning light 'cause it came on once. Had to guess that is what the pictogram meant as it's a warning light not listed in the user manual...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mmmm! Will have to go and look! Mine's a 51 reg and , I believe, has the internals for the diff lock but not a lever to use them. Looking at the manual - which doesn't involve grovelling around on ice so is my preferred solution! - I can see the following references, some in respect of LT230SE, some on LT230Q (I have no idea which mine is) and some not in UK market:

1) Hi/Lo detector switch 2) Diff lock warning light switch - "if fitted" 3) Neutral Warning Switch (US/Japan with auto box as safety interlock to ensure key can't be removed whlst T/B in Neutral) 4) Oil temp warning lamp switch.

Now.... I definately have a 4). I wouldn't expect to have a 3) not being auto box and living in Yorkshire I have no knowledge of having a 2) but I would concur with you that it is likely that there is one. I have not seen the diff lock lamp illuminated because I've never engaged it using a spanner. But..... I must have a 1) because my HDC definately only works when in Low range and its getting that info from somewhere!

So, in any event I was talking b0llox. And 10 out of 10 for passing the test. (I'd really like to claim that I was just testing you but that would be an outright lie) I really must remember not to rely on what I remember before putting fingers to keyboard! Lesson learned, thank you. If I can remember.

I still think it is highly likely to be a bad connection - or actually a good connection between two things that shouldn't be connected! - rather than a real overheating problem and wouldn't worry about it.

Coincidentally, my reference to 'water in fuel' warning in similar circumstances recurred yesterday when I managed to get my car back from SWMBO for a couple of hours jaunt into North York Moors. Now, I could blame the conditions - drifts in some places/salty slush in others- or I could blame having thought about it last week. On the other hand it could just be genuine........

Good Luck with the sorting of the temp W/L .

PS I like the snow pics linked to in uk.d-i-y Snow pics were the intention of my jaunt yesterday. Locally, our lane is quite bad - tractors/4WD only until yesterday- it had been ploughed (plowed?) but no grit treatment 'cos we aren't worth it apparantly, but 20+ miles north on the higher ground of the Moors is a different world. Unfortunately, the really scary stuff was too scary (for me at least) to stop and photograph. May have to try again when conditions improve a tad.