alternative car for 98 forester, any ideas

ok i'm selling my forester hand already and i'm looking for a fuel efficient alternative for my 98 subaru forester. it needs to get at least 27mpg, it doesnt have to be awd or 4x4, it has to be year 98 or older. i'm considering honda crv or toyota rav4 but both get crappy gas mileage. it has to be RELIABLE. i need something under 10 grand , used. thanks

Reply to
glasceus

Put Hyundai (newer ones are reasonably reliable) and Mazda on your list. They do not carry the 'name brand panache' that Toy and Honda do - so, for the same money, you might get a 1-2 year newer vehicle. Or, another wya to consider it, spend 8K and put 2K in the bank for possible repair work. When buing used cars, the older they are, the less important the repair rates are for the brand/vehicle and the more important the past care and present condition are. Take any prospective car to a trusted mechanic and gladly pay him $75-$100 to check it out thoroughly. Money well spent if he finds a cylinder with 30% less compression than the others, or evidence of a serious wreck.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan