Wheel alignment and wobbly

You had to ask?!! '59er Rhine wine was the absolutely best wine I've ever had. Must have drank up a fortune there since I found out it was $23 per bottle when I returned to the states. I paid about $2 there....several bottles per month.....many times a bottle with lunch! Ahhhh.....those were the days.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

I paid about $2 there....several

Try Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe, maybe costs a bit more outside California. Here in LA it's $24 a case, and is as good and maybe even better than many wines which are much more expensive.

Canoli

Reply to
canoli

I'm not and I never will. Still it was intend as humor.... Which always does contain a grain of truth.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Hey, let's show some respect for trolls. I remember from my childhood fairly tales, I think it was the "Three Billy Goats Gruff," that trolls live under bridges.

We have a beloved member of this group who claims to live under a bridge with his S420 . . .

Pete Cowper (1987 300E)

Reply to
Pete Cowper

There's excellent wine from California and the Pacific North West these days, but they ain't necessarily cheap.

I can confirm that decent wine in Germany is still cheap, e.g. EUR 5 for a

0.75 l bottle (gone up from 0.7 l in your day...) for something pretty decent bought directly from a vintner.

In real terms wine is probably cheaper than its ever been.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

My sincere apologies for the insult, sir, (I was looking at the wrong message header when I wrote that) and many thanks for your not supporting bad software. That's really all it takes to get developers to make good software - just don't buy the sorry stuff. I wonder when Unison is going to get ported to the other *nix platforms - from OS X to BSD to Solaris to Linux doesn't seem like much of a stretch...

Grains of truth are apparently much like grains of sand - they get in some folks shorts...

Cheers,

Conrad

Reply to
Conrad

PS. By the time it gets to Britain it's at least double, if not triple :-(

Part of that is because of tax, but what I can't understand how AU/NZ wine can undercut (in price, not quality) German wine here (UK)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yeah, his problem sounds to be a ball joint thats about to go too seeing as how he mentioned one of the wheels moves side to side. Wheels shouldn't move side to side at all, that's in fact how to test for bad ball joints.

Reply to
marlinspike

OK, now I'm confused. I was thinking that the tie-rods, which are connected to the steering box, controlled the side-to-side (i.e. steering) motion. I was also thinking that the upper and lower ball joints allowed the wheel to pivot up and down on the control arms, (vertical suspension movement) while allowing the tie-rods to move the wheel assemblies left and right. My thinking was that rocking the wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions tested the tie-rods more than the ball joints and that grabbing the wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions (OK, allowing for a few degrees of caster) was more definitive for ball joints.

Of course, if the wheel bearings are shot/loose the wheel will probably wiggle no matter where you grab it.

Any front end-wizards have a take on this?

Conrad

Reply to
Conrad

Actually the Australian wines are getting quite nice these days. Excellent quality and decent prices too.

I have never been too impressed with german wines personally. Although I do like the ice wine I had in the Mosel valley...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

AU wines have been "quite nice" for years. In fact, I heard the other day they have overtaken French wines as Britons' favourite wine region.

German white wines are good/excellent, red not (despite their best endeavours). Of course there are poor white wines, too. Depends what and where you buy.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I think in the USA the problem for many potential wine consumers is not the price or the availability of quality wine but the lack of enough wine experience to be able to decide which wine is of decent quality.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

I am reminded of what I thought was a slightly peculiar experience in the LA area a few years ago. The family was driving around and I wanted to buy a bottle of red wine for dinner that evening (staying with relatives). I stopped at this classy looking wine store and asked for a suggestions for bottle of decent red for maybe USD 15. I was led straight to the Italian section...

When I asked about Californian I was told there was no good 'cheap' Californian wine.

And I thought I was in a (THE) wine growing state of the Union...:-)

If you're wondering, I did buy a Californian wine as I didn't come all this way to drink French or Italian, but it cost me over USD 20...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

That makes sense, since I tend to prefer the reds...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Not quite. It doesn't require years of experience to know when a wine pleases and when it does not. The problems arise when an inexpensive bottle of wine is as good or better than the most expensive brands, creating questions as to why the supposedly 'better' brand is so much more than the much cheaper wine, which is more pleasing.

I don't drink much wine anymore but when I do I go to Trader Joe's nearest store and buy a $2.00 bottle of Charles Shaw, familiarly known as Two Buck Chuck. I don't know if it has nose, character, or any of the other descriptive terms used by connoisseurs, but I enjoy it as much or more than all other wines, with the sole exception of Opus One.

Canoli

Reply to
canoli

An interesting development in France is the arrival of Australian, American and other winemasters with experience of New Word techniques...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

All very interesting...

Now I have to go buy some wine to personally verify all this....

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Are we talking the same stuff? I'm talking about 1959 Rhine Valley white wine bottled in 1959. It was called '59er Rhine Wine. Don't think it would even be good now. Too long ago for white wine I believe.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Sure, but how often do they "catch" ice wine. And it was $50 a bottle in Germany in the early 60s.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

You're not the first to suggest the Two Buck Chuck. Guess I'll have to try that.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks