Which C200K?

I am considering purchasing a C200K W203 and am wondering which engine I should pick, the newer 1.8K or the older 1998K. Has anyone any advice on which is the better?

Reply to
Steven Atkinson

It depends what your budget is.

The range used to be:

C180 - 2.0 litre uncharged - 129bhp C200K - 2.0 litre supercharged - 163bhp C230K -2.2 litre supercharged - 192bhp

After 2002, it was modified:

C180K 1.8 litre supercharged 143bhp C200K 1.8 litre supercharged 163bhp C230K 1.8 litre supercharged 192bhp

If you can afford it I would go for the post 2002 engines, they are *much* more refined and you won't be able to tell them apart from a V6.

Also, the C180K provides more than adequate performance because it has lots of torque - 220Nm from 2500rpm to 4500rpm. The C200K has about 10% more torque which is hardly noticeable, and in the UK, new it costs an extra £1500, which is almost enough to pay for satellite navigation, which I would far rather have.

Additionally, the newer engines are more economical.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

...until you hit around 30k miles, and all of a sudden it starts running rough and you need a new cylinder head cos the valve guides weren't put in straight during manufacture. Then you will be able to tell it apart from a V6.

Reply to
miknik

Right-hand drive C-Class are made in East London, South Africa. (See UK Sunday Times, 28 Sep 03, Driving section.)

Not sure if that's relevant to quality issues, but there it is.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Some are, but not all of them. 8th digit of chassis number is R if it was built in SA (203xxx-2R-xxxxxx would be an SA car)

Reply to
miknik