Wiring harness died

My c280 has wiring harnesss that has rotted away. I was quoted 1100 p&l to fix. This seems a bit steep. Any one have a comparable experience

Reply to
Chris Tonjes

Get a second opinion. Sometimes they use the harness as a catch all.

Reply to
BS

I had a 1996 C280. Four years later, the car was having strange engine troubles. It turned out to be that the wiring harness was "corroded". The estimated repair was about $1,500 US at that time. I ended up trading in the car.

I've read that the harness is not a rare problem with this batch of MBs. The service center told me that it was because of the smog in Southern California. I just looked at him in disbelief.

Ricky

Reply to
RickyE

fix. This seems a bit steep. Any one have a comparable experience

Mercedes bought a lot of bad engine wiring harnesses 1993 through 1996. The insulation crumbles. They have failed to own up and recall or offer free repairs as anyone would think they should. Wire insulation made of plastic usually outlasts the car. Not this time!

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

FWIW: my 95 was recalled for the wiring harness and it was fixed at no cost to me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Oh... that's good to know... I don't see it on the service record.

Reply to
Tiger

you can check with any dealers computer to see what work MB did on the car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Thank your neighborhood environmentalist. To satisfy the recyclers, MB went to a "better"plastic for its harnesses.

I don't think they counted on it recycling itself while the car was still in use, however.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I don;t think any environmentalist asked Mercedes to use materials that result in more pollution (from engine malfunctions) or wasting of resources (from duplicating the parts).

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

I thank corporate cost cutting not enviros. Since the replacement for this part was $1000, I can see where it is an attractive thing to try and get cheaply

BTW my warranty did not cover this. So this week I had another european car moment where I forked out $15000 (for the harness, labor, and fixing the Uniwiper)

Reply to
Chris Tonjes