advice needed on replacing rear leaf springs - mgb gt (74)

Hi all, I have a 74 mgb gt - last of the chrome bumbers.

I'm replacing leaf springs cos I don't think they're gonna make it through the next mot and I figure I can spruce up that area of the underside while I'm scrambling around under there ... anyhoo ...

I can't get past the first hurdle : undoing the bolt that attaches the lower link arm of the rear suspension to the plate at the bottom centre of the rear leaf spring.

At the end of the link arm of the rear suspension unit there is a ball and from that ball is a threaded extension (at a right angle to the link arm) going into the plate and that has the nut that I'm trying to undo.

But when I turn (and turn and turn and turn) with a spanner, the threaded portion of the link arm just turns in the ball.

Is this normal ? if so, any advice as to how I stop that extension spinning so I can undo the bolt ?

Hope this all makes sense ...

Thanks in advance, Neil

Reply to
Neil Cudd

Yes Neil - it is normal behaviour for that particular bolt.

I bought a cheap pair of vice grips and ground the jaws down so that I could clamp them on to the small flange between the ball joint and the mounting plate.

Another way is to use a nut splitter to split the nut, or you may be able to split the nut with a hammer and a very sharp cold chisel - but I havn't tried that way.

Cheers

.

Reply to
Poptop

Or you could go to

Register (free) and search the archives on rear spring replacement.

There are instances of difficulties fitting leaf springs and solutions there.

Cheers

Reply to
Poptop

Thanks very much for your advice. Neil

Reply to
Neil Cudd

My '70 B-GT is also in need of new rear springs, but I've heard mixed reviews of springs currently available. Over here in Canada there are some advertised as being British-made, and some with no indication of origin but much lower prices. That suggests they are offshore knock-offs, and I've heard complaints about consistency with those.

Is there any way to differentiate between the Brit and 'mystery' springs, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Kevin Hall

Although not directly linked to springs I have had recent experience in getting new shocks for my '72 BGT. While in no way wishing to be seen as 'recommending' them my experience with Moss has been very good. I hadn't realised that there were so many 'after market' options for shocks, and assume that the retro fitted parts, an upgrade on the originals, which were now worn out could just be replaced.... Oh no, there were a number of small variations which were very important, particularly concerning the fixings to the body. Moss personnel were most helpful and saved me a lot of anguish.

The bottom line for me is that it is better to buy from a recognised dealer.

Bye, Barry

Reply to
Barrym