Back on the road ...

Hi All,

I've just dug the old MGB GT out of the garage. It's been about a year and a half since it was last used (redundancy meant I just couldn't afford to insure and run two cars)... and I was expecting a few problems when starting for the first time.

I charged the battery (which was completely dead) - luckily this charged OK - and seems to be holding it's charge too!

I pulled out the choke, turned the ignition, and the car started immediatly! I forgot just how great these cars sound!

After 10 minutes of warming up, I cleared the garage out, and reversed the MG onto the driveway. At this point the engine was nice and warm, so I thought I'd give it a little rev. Argh ... I've really missed that sound in the last year or so!

Anyway - I've given it a good look over, and it seems in fairly good condition. Some rust I treated last year has now returned - but I half expected that as I was learning at the time. The parts I treated properly later in the year, are still perfect.

I don't think I should have any real trouble getting this through an MOT. It's pretty rusty - but the main structure looks sound. The chassis looks great - and the sills are a little rusty but seem solid.

My main concern is the bodywork. I'd say the majority of panels need replacing. I'm now paid nowhere near what I was before - so this might be a lenghty process :(

Wish me luck for the MOT ...

Steve Bristol, UK

Steve Netting