Bugger

My 97 MGF blew its head gasket this morning.

It's at the garage, I'm waiting to see what the damage is.

At least while it's in bits I can get the plastic dowels changed and a new cam belt fitted.

Reply to
Nick

Sorry to hear that, it seems to be all too common a problem. See here:-

Ian Edwards

: > It's at the garage, I'm waiting to see what the damage is. : >

: > At least while it's in bits I can get the plastic dowels changed and a : > new cam belt fitted. : >

: : Sorry to hear that, it seems to be all too common a problem. See here:- : :

: -- : Ian Edwards :

The site is a good idea but there are too many pop-ups & I had to cancel three attempts to download and install a .js (java script file) that I never asked for.

-- Ecosse Nkosi

Mina bona wena mina bona lo mombi ena lo shatini

Reply to
Ecosse Nkosi

I don't know which browser you're using. I use Netscape 7.1 which suppresses pop-ups, you can also get a pop-up eliminator for Internet Explorer from Google, see here:-

IMO, worth the time to download and install.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Well I got the MG back today. Head off skimmed & pressure tested, new gasket set, plastic dowels changed for steel. Engine flush, New cam belt.

All the work done by proper mechanics at my local independent garage, people who really know about engines, they've been servicing my cars for years.

Head removed and sent to a local company to be skimmed and pressure tested. £70 Head gasket & Dowels £66.33 Cam Belt £18.36 Oil Filter £8.11 Air Filter £6.96 Thermostat £7.48 Antifreeze £8.00 Oil £12.00 Labour £175.00

VAT 65.32

Total cost £438.56

A bargain. I was talking to another MGF owner while mine was in dock who had exactly the same thing done by our local MG Rover main dealers and they charged him £1500, how do they arrive at these outrageous amounts?

It sounds fantastic, drives as good as ever and is very responsive. I took it for a good long drive this afternoon and I'm extremely pleased with it. All things considered I did OK, at 75,000 miles it was getting ready for a new cam belt anyway! When they serviced it 2 months ago they quoted me about £150 for a cam belt change alone.

Reply to
Nick