Steering wheel removal

Is there a secret to removing the steering wheel? I've used the rubber mallet method to no avail and I can't find a steering wheel puller that's compatable. Any advice?

Reply to
h.shirley

usually pull on one side to keep tension and hit/pull/wobble the other with the nut very loose still on shaft thread so you don't get hit when the wheel comes off.

Don't hit the shaft as it will tighten the wheel further.

the steering wheel pullers are usually short bar with a threaded hole etc like this kit but you could make one with ease.

Rob

Loosen nut a couple of turns (but dont remove). Squat on the seat with your knees up under the wheel and pull back with your knees. Use a short stubby bolt as a punch, and drive the shaft out of the steering wheel with a hammer. Use a smaller hammer and use sharp blows, rather than thumping with a larger hammer.

Cheers

ian F

Reply to
Liz and Ian

The return energy will actually force the shaft up tighter into the wheel. Not a very good idea.

We are looking at the same principle as ball joint tappers and I'm sure you wouldn't hit them on the end.

Reply to
me

You would think that would happen. The fact is that it doesn't. I have removed many steering wheels this way. I think the upward force from your knees prevents the return bounce you describe. I always unscrew the nut so that it's level with the end of the thread and use a soft face hammer on the shaft. Never failed on a car yet. I do have a tractor that's proving incredibly reluctant though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Works ok for me..

Eh???

We are looking at the same principle as ball joint tappers and I'm sure

Reply to
Liz and Ian

It did the trick. Three sharp blows with a small ballpeen and it popped right off. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
h.shirley