Filter in vacuum advance pipe?

Hi!

I've a in-line filter attached to the vacuum advance pipe on my '79 BGT

- it's a Ford part (no. D3HE-AA) so I'm assuming it's not a regular MG item? A photo of it is here:

Given that it looks to be fitted backwards (the 'vac' end goes to the dissy and the 'dis' end to the inlet manifold), and given that I've found no reference to it anywhere, is it okay to simply remove it?

Thanks,

Carl.

Reply to
Carl Woffenden

What possible use could such a filter serve in the 1st place ?!

There's no net flow, etc. ...

Reply to
Stephen G. Giannoni

Had one of these on a Land Rover 90; apparently they are valves not filters. Tried sucking and blowing into it and it seemed pretty blocked, so I binned it. No noticeable ill effects in 5 years motoring. I think (don't quote me) they are supposed to slow down the vacuum effect in one direction.

Gordon.

Reply to
Gordon

I'd read something to that effect, for reducing the emissions caused by quick changes in the vaccum.

Carl.

Reply to
Carl Woffenden

There is a metal bulb in the vacuum line on my MGA. I have also seen the same thing on other BMC engines.

It is to ensure that the volume of the connecting pipeware between the carb and the diaphram is larger than the volume of displacement of the diaphram itself.

This is to prevent fuel from being drawn into the diaphram cell and damaging the diaphram.

Perhaps whjat you have found serves the same purpose.

Ian F

Reply to
Liz and Ian

Interesting, Ian. I know the bulb you talk of and had thought they were a fluid (petrol) trap and had to be mounted the right way up as the pipe on one end went up inside. Your explanation serves the same purpose but is easier to manufacture and means it can't be put on the wrong way. It also explains why, over the years, I've got through a few dist. diaphrams on my Series 1 Land Rover; same distributor but no expansion bulb in the line. Will now have to find one and fit it, there's not so many of the old Lucas dissies left in the scrap yards nowadays!

Happy Motoring, Gordon (back to the TC now, no vacuum system to worry about on that one!)

Reply to
Gordon