Help! Grease Gun Woes

Can anyone help? I own a midget 1500. About three weeks ago it started creaking like a Hammer Horror door whenever the steering wheel was turned. The noise appeared to come from the drivers side front suspension kingpin. As a result I whipped out my trusty grease gun and attempted to pump grease into the three nipples that serve the kingpin. However, the grease ends up on the floor with none apparently passing through the nipples. I removed one of the nipples and found that it was working OK and was not blocked but after screwing it back in I was still unable to get any grease in the joint! Has anyone else had this problem? I am assuming that the old grease has somehow solidified. Any ideas on how to re-grease the kingpin would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation. Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Sheriden

Where is the grease escaping from? You are obviously sending it somewhere. Try a new end on your grease gun and a new grease nipple. The ends do wear and the grease nipples can corrode. This means that the grease gun no longer seals on the grease nipple and the grease take the easiest route out which isn't via the king pin bush. An old trick that I have used is to put a rag over the grease nipple before greasing it. The grease will pass through the rag but will not leak out. It's still better to replace the bits I've mentioned though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Old grease can solidify. You can try heating (gently! dont melt those rubber bushings!) the area in question until the grease softens then drive the old grease out with your trusty grease gun. After the parts cool sufficiently, re-grease as required.

Richard

Reply to
RJR

A kettle or two of boiling water generally does the trick if that's the problem. No damage to the rubbers either. This is also a good way to release tight tapers on track rod ends etc.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I was once asked how to ease tight knickers. I suggested flowers and chocolate. It wasn't appreciated though...

Have a good weekend chaps (it's MGB driving weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

In message , John Manders writes

Reply to
Martin Akehurst