MGB fuel pump problem

Can anyone assist me?

I'm in the process of fitting a new SU 'electronic' fuel pump to my positive earth, 1964 MGB. Having connected it up,ie. postive & earth leads, fuel inlet & outlet pipes, the following happens:-

  • When wired up correctly - I turn the ignition on and can hear the pump clicking rapidly, unlike howit should be, it just keeps on clicking. If I then turn the key all the way to start the engine, everything just dies (ie. no pwer, ignition light out, etc.) Ithen have to remove one of the battery leads to "reset" things. I can then start the whole cylce over again.

Just to check I hadn't wired it up the wrong way round (the documentation assures you that wiring it the wrong way round can't damage it), I reversed the wiring. This just does nothing when turning the ignition on.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Bell Manchester

Reply to
Brian Bell

Serious air leak on the suction side or something sticking under the inlet valve.

Reply to
Tommy T.

I had the same thing happen on my 1979 MGB. Put in a new solid state SU pump and heard it clicking like crazy in the trunk but the engine would not start. I then examined the fuel line going from the tank to the the pump and found the hose had cracked open down the center for a few inches. Put on a new hose, and turned the ignition on. Clicking again like crazy till the pressure built up, then the clicking slowed up and the engine started just fine.

Bob Krzewinski

Reply to
Wolverbob

Sounds like you've got a main wiring fault. The pump will run on an amp or two but starting draws a much higher current and can momentarily jump a gap, but then the burns insulate it. Taking the lead off probably 'cleans' the terminal for next time.

Mart

In message , Brian Bell writes

Reply to
Martin Akehurst

It is now working a treat. I think the problem was a combination of two things:-

(1) Poorly fitting inlet hose (where it screws onto the pump) (2) Poor earth connection from battery to earth point on bulkhead

It was probably trying to suck in air and was cutting out when extra load put on as I tried to turn the key further to start it.

Thanks for your help.

documentation

Reply to
Brian Bell