Fuel Pump Problem??Maybe

Ok, here is what happened....I have a 90' Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible. On the way to work this morning my car was running great...then when I got to the parking garage my car acted like someone just turned off the ignition. It didn't buck around or anything like it was starving for fuel....it just quit. I repalced the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat. The reason I did that was because I can't hear the pump coming on when I turn on my key. Is there another fuse for the fuel pump somewhere?? Or did I just retire a fuel pump? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Jackson3

I had something similar happen, but it turned out to only be the fuel filter. Too much backpressure was shutting off the pump. But, when I turned the key to the on position it would buzz briefly.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Ignition sw-->ECM relay-->fuel pump relay-->inertia sw-->fuel pump-->grnd.

Other than fuse links and harness wiring, there's your block diagram FWIW... You could make certain 12 volt jumps to eliminate the guesswork on the f/p and inertia switch. Of course a shop manual and multimeter would certainly help...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Make sure you (probably a passenger) didn't hit the button to relieve fuel pressure.. there's a button under the passenger seat & in the trunk of my 98 GT. Might be similar on your car.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Oh also.. as stupid as this may seem... is your Check Engine light on? When my car died while driving (no sputtering or anything) my check engine light was on. It turned out to be an oxygen sensor. It was dangling & hit the ground & bounced up and stuck to the body of my car & ground to the car. This caused my car to instantly die & not be able to start. I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel pump relay, and fuel pump fuse. None fixed it. I finally let a professional handle it & after tons of tracing he found out it was the cursed oxygen sensor. So.. just be sure it's nothing else.. look at any other problems you may have been having recently.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

how about the fuel safety shut off.. the one that cuts off the gas when you have a front end collision???? maybe that was set off when you pulled into the parking garage.. going up the ramp or a high incline might just do it.. reset the safety valve(probalby in the trunk of the car behind the carpet on the dirvers side???).

Reply to
jim

There is an emergency fuel pump shut off switch located in the trunk. If that ever gets tripped, like it would in a collision, you have to reset it before you can restore power to the pump.

Reply to
Ironrod