Starting problem -1972 MGB

I just purchased a 1972 MGB (US Version). It seems like the ignition doesn't get power when the key is in the "Start" position. You can turn over the engine forever and it won't start, but as you let the key go back to "ON" the ignition will fire and the car will start. Typically this happens on a car with a ballast resistor in the ignition system. I looked for a ballast resistor in the system, but didn't see one. Am I missing it somewhere, or can someone offer me some other suggestions? I have a shop manual on order, but until it comes I won't have a wiring diagram. Thanks in advance for any help! Keith

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Slightly OT, but why did you buy a US version when there are trillions of UK versions out there for sale?

Reply to
John & Lisa

Because he's in the US?

There are quite a few Americans on this group. :o)

Reply to
Nick Mason

---------------------

Oh, that would do it LOL Though it souded a bit odd.

Reply to
John & Lisa

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Hi Kieth, Have you tried subscribing to the Autox MG Forum, International help for international people with MG problems. This is the Subscription address. suggest you ask politely if you can join! Then ask your question you should get at least 6 detailed answers! mainly from the Good Old US of A. snipped-for-privacy@autox.team.net

Yahoo also have a very active technical group " MG-MGB Automotive technical discussion" but several of the regular contributors will appear in both, so perhaps best not to blast both groups at once.

I assume that your low tension lead, coil to points is intact and not earthing? That would be my first check point.

best of luck P '67 MGB '97 MGF

Reply to
Pointer

Reply to
Keith Stelter

There was a time when BL cars had the resistor in the form of resistance wire rather than a discrete object. This meant it looked just like any other bit of wire in the loom! You need to check the circuit diagram and wire colour codes to identify it.

G.

Reply to
gbubb

Reply to