MGB V8 Conversion

A friend in the states is over here in March and has asked me to help him find a bell-housing to put between a Rover 3.5 V8 and a TR7 gearbox.

Does such a beastie exist ? and does anyone have any links or names to a possible supplier.

Any help much appreciated, it's a bit outside my interest in stationary engines!

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

When I did my conversion here in the states, I was able to readily find and order a bellhousing between the Buick 215CID block and a Muncie 4 speed. Not knowing the bolt pattern on the Rover, you may have to get something and have it modified.

Didn't the TR-8 have the Rover V8? Maybe a bell housing from one of those would work.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Yep, no issues with that.

There are two gearboxes with the TR7, one is a four speed derived from the Marina and best employed as an anchor. The other is the five speed and this is the LT77 found also in the Rover SD1 range of manual five speed boxes, as well as some Jaguars, the Sherpa van as I recall, and so on.

The Rover SD1 (and some versions of the Sherpa) also used the V8 engine so there are a range of vehicles using the box and engine, specifically providing it is the 5 speed.

There's slightly more to it than merely bolting in an SD1 bellhousing, though, the clutch fulcrum is different in the TR7v8 so you want to "modify" the bellhousing to have a suitable one.

Online, places exist:

(takes forever to load, but the bellhousingis under "TR8 transmission, clutch and axles", 80 quid second hand. If your friend is planning an engine swap - and that's not a bad idea - then try to get him or her to consider a proper conversion. Listed above is a "TR8 conversion info" section where the options are discussed. In particular, it's a dead good idea to go for a lowered subframe as you can then have a reasonable flexibility in your carbs / intakes and can bolt on a nice quad barrel with offenhauser / performer manifold and not have it denting the bonnet every time you have it go over 2000 rpm...

Plus all the brakes, exhaust, the rev counter, suspension, etc, etc.

As you'll see, there's a lot of extra advice / bits.

Other sites of interest:

A bit pricey, but worth knowing:
Hope this helps.

Reply to
antispam

Yes, I think you are right on that, but the rarity factor comes into play here, there is not likely to be anything around that is available now, and I believe (I hope!) there is a small number of aftermarket people supplying copy bellhousings.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Have you had a look at

There is a comprehensive board on MGB V8 and V8 Conversions.

Ian F

Reply to
Liz and Ian

Not yet, but I will now :-))

Thanks, Ian.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

try" moss"they advertise in most classic mags they do v8 conversion parts for the tr7

steve-s

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Reply to
steve-s

For speed/quickness and to preserve handling in an MGB GT (1967), is it better to V8 convert or goose a 4 cyl to 2 liters and put on a blower and heads and HP exhaust? Assume $ is not in the equation.

Jim Kle>A friend in the states is over here in March and has asked me to help him find a

Reply to
West Coast Engineering